HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemanmatt82

Edlebrock Pumper Carb Question?

6 posts in this topic

So I fire the bike up the other day and everything is as it should be. As I get half way down the street I notice the idle is about 200-300rpm higher than it should be. Why would on this particular carb. it start doing this all of the sudden? I rode it for six hours a week ago and it ran fine. Oh I almost forgot, this is on an 01 Yz 426. Any help or suggestions would be much apperciated. Thanks

Perhaps you have answered this before, but why would you replace the excellent stock FCR pumper carb with an Edlebrock carb?? A properly jetted stock carb works as well as or better than any other carb out there.

Perhaps you have answered this before, but why would you replace the excellent stock FCR pumper carb with an Edlebrock carb?? A properly jetted stock carb works as well as or better than any other carb out there.
The FCR on the '98-'99 400's was not excellent. The FCR-MX on the 426 was quite a bit better, but they were still subject to wearing out, or being broken beyond usability by mishandling. The replacement cost is around $900 or more.

Edelbrocks are much more affordable. Some see them as a way to replace the carb without selling the car to finance it. Others believe it will improve performance, which it won't, really, as you pointed out. That belief probably originates with the fact that it does offer a big improvement over the, um, "stuff" that comes on older Harleys, which is what they were first made for.

Personally, I think you're better off with a used FCR-MX than an Edelbrock. Once they work right, if they work right, they're fine, but they can be a PITA to work out.

Just to be clear, the Edlebrock was on the bike when I bought the bike. I'm personally not a huge fan of changing a lot of parts off, seeing the bike ran great from the factory. My 426 though has every upgrade you can buy for it, on it. Some parts are cool (hydrulic clutch, IMS wide pegs, Fat Bars, etc) The exhaust is made by some shop out of Freson,Ca and is way to loud and will be getting changed out ASAP. It sucks to sell this Edlebrock, cosidering another 450 carb looks like it will run me between 150-300 bucks. Thanks for all the help guys