08 450 minimum (but smart) engine refresh

Looking for some advice on what I should do with my engine. I ran it hard last year on the supermotard track and road-racing tracks. I bought it used, so not sure what kind of use it had seen before I bought it. Mid season had the valves checked/adjusted and replaced the cam chain (stiff/kinked).

I'm not looking for any additional power...just want to avoid, if possible, any catastrophic failures in the upcoming season.

Anyway...engine is currently out of the frame, so figured now would be a good time to get the necessary work done.

Thanks for any advice.

Check the cylinder for wear, replace if needed (you can now choose your piston options), new piston, cam chain, check the valves...pack it up and ride it like you stole it.

Edited by nephic

Thanks. Any reason to go with a piston other than OEM?

That depends on what you want to do with the bike. If you liked the stock engine, then no, there's nothing significantly better about any of the aftermarket pistons. If you want a low/mid power boost, go with a CP at a higher compression ratio.

If you use a racing piston, remember that the rings will need replacement more often with a two ring piston than a with a more conventional three ring piston.

I'm happy with the stock engine's performance and reliability...so will probably go with an OEM piston. Thanks.

go stock and enjoy lots of fun time and reliability. replace rings and piston. maybe a timing chain.