Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeOK

i need your tire reccomendations

8 posts in this topic

Hello group- my stock rear tire finally has all the knobs rounded off quite well and being the cheap-skate I am I got all I could from it before I'm replacing it. I remember some of you saying that you had found some better tires than the stock and I'd like to know what you would reccomend for mostly MX, soft terrain tires. Thanks in advance...

Mike

Mike, I live and ride in the New Orleans and southern Mississippi area where that soil is mostly loam and/or sand....some red soft clay. I switched to Dunlop 756's and am quite pleased with the improved traction in this type of soil over the stock 739's. I talked to some other 426 riders at my local track and they also like Dunlop 755's and the old standby, the 752 as well. Bridgestone also makes some excellent soft terrain knobbies. Too bad we can't afford several extra sets of wheels all laced and set up with all the different tire selections like the pros do. I DID invest in the Talon hubs, Buchannan spokes, and Excel rims wheel sets thru Motosport Outlet in Yakima, Washington. BTW, since changing tires is such a headache, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Toolz tire changer. This thing works so well that I might run an ad locally and make a few bucks changing tires for other riders. If I really wanted to attack it, I could probably do a wheel in less than 15 minutes....and thats removing a tire and installing another. It works THAT good!

Boit- tell me more about this tire changer tool. I would (almost) rather rebuild an engine as change a tire :) Thanks for the reply...

Mike

Mike, no problem. You can check the changer out at the website. WWW.mxtoolz.com. I have it bookmarked and just tried to open the site and got that stupid error about the site not being available due to...blah blah blah. Anyway, the changer works every bit as good as advertised and I'm very glad I bought it. One of the things I like about it is that it puts the wheel up where you can work on it easily and it allows you to use your tire irons in a way that lets you prevent gouging your rims....as long as you are willing to be gentle and take your time.

Up here in Sweden the most usual rubber is Michelin Cross Competition who gives You a free choise of soft, medium and hard...

Just remember that Michelin uses a diffrent dimension and what You need is 130/70-19.

For one race only You could try the all new Starcross tire.

Maximum grip, but it does not last !!

Numpsy

MikeOK

I ride 85% in sand and am love with the 120/90-19 size, but I have never been on a decent track.

For races (if I need a tire, I hate changing them also) I use the (almost) flat-proof Dunlop AT desert series (less flats = less changes :)). I don’t want to give you the wrong model number but I think this is now also a 739 (which looks similar to the 695). It never occurred to me before but someone pointed out that this is a heavy tire. It is, you probably don’t want one for the track but if you get lots of flats I recommend it. I honestly can’t tell much of a difference between this tread and the 752, which is supposed to be much better in sand. But the 752 is cheaper, I found them on sale (Chaparral, I think) a few months ago and bought three.

Ordinarily I run a 752 and always a 756 in front. If they made a 756 in my favorite size for the rear I’d probably be running that. The 752 seems to wear out a little quicker than the stock 739 but I’m not certain the rubber compound is any different, but it will chunk knobs off on hard, rocky stuff (which is where the desert AT will make you fearless).

Why don’t more of you moto guys run the bigger (120) size? I would imagine for sandy tracks this would work well traction wise. Is there something about the way a bigger rear ( :D) makes your bike handle?

Actually I wish I had a track to ride on, I bet its fun and it would be good to test different set ups over the exact same terrain. Maybe I could learn some tricks after 100 laps over a 50 foot double jump (on second thought…). Maybe if I did I would then know why the 120s aren’t more popular.

Just curious…

That tire stand looks promising Boit, you’re full of good ideas, but I could probably build a better one myself ( :D yeah, unfinished project # 956, right behind the Hick-improved moto-tote @ #955). I did cobble together a piece of plywood with a hole in it (pretty high-tech, or Hick-tech) to help hold the tire in place.

I also have a Motion Pro (I think, the logo is now illegible) tire tool designed to be hit with a hammer (I love hammers and have a large collection). It is a big cylindrical shaped piece of aluminum with a notch at one end. You pry the bead up & out with a normal iron, insert the notch onto the rim and hammer the iron around in a circle, separating the bead as you go around. If the tire is lubed and warm 15 or 20 good whacks will make a circle. It is quick and easy and (almost) impossible to pinch a tube this way, and that’s the best part about it.

speaking of cheap tires the kenda 460 trakmaster is a really good tire for the money. it's also dot approved but the road would eat it alive-this is one knobby tire and it is a 752 exact copy. i bought 3 for $120 shipped to my door for chapparal.

[This message has been edited by bonez34 (edited 10-16-2000).]