HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i_wheelie_longer

Bike creeps while in gear...

15 posts in this topic

I have an 06 yz450f with the original clutch. I'm pretty hard on the clutch and I think it is finally time for a new one. When I pull in the clutch and put my bike in gear it wants to creep forward alot and everyone tells me that means its time to replace the clutch. Yes the cable is adjusted properly, but my question is why would the bike creep if the clutch is going bad... i would assume that if its brand new it would tend to creep, not when its going bad. I know thats not the way it works, i just dont understand how a creeping clutch means the clutch is worn. I realize that if it was slipping it would be bad for sure. Any help? Should I also stick with an oem clutch? I care more about reliability and longevity. I hear people ripping through Hinson clutches and other aftermarket clutches very quickly.

I think he means that it creeps forward when the clutch lever is held in all the way.

If this is the case then it sounds like your clutch basket and/or hub is worn and holding onto the plates instead of dis-engaging them like they should when you hold in the lever. It can cause the bike to creep when in gear and the clutch held in, also known as a 'grabby clutch' :moon:

You can file the hub/basket if the notches are present to give the edges the straight surface that they once had, but it's only a temp fix and in the end the chances of notches appearing again quickly are higher. You can also break clutch plates this way if there is too much room for them too move when referring to the space between each basket "leg".

Thanks!

Yes I meant the bike creeps forward when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in all the way. So the creeping is most likely due strictly to the worn basket or hub, rather than worn plates? I'm going to replace the clutch either way but I was just wondering. I'll take it apart and check for wear on the basket and hub and decide what else needs to be replaced.

As for a "grabby clutch", I think that's what I may be experiencing. I stalled my bike TWICE yesterday in a corner, and I don't think I've ever stalled in a turn before. Could this mean that I'm having a grabby clutch?

Thanks gray. Since I'm going to be replacing my clutch plates anyways, would it be a good idea to install new clutch springs as well? is it necessary?

if your clutch isnt slipping, your springs should be fine(check them with specs)

sounds like yoiur plates r fkd. i had the same problem on my cr500, new plates now it runs like a dream:)

Thanks gray. Since I'm going to be replacing my clutch plates anyways, would it be a good idea to install new clutch springs as well? is it necessary?
OEM springs are $25 a set. If yours don't match up with the manual specs, replace them.

Wouldn't springs out of spec cause slipping and not grabbing? Not trying to contradict you I'm just trying to understand

thx gray

Wouldn't springs out of spec cause slipping and not grabbing? Not trying to contradict you I'm just trying to understand

thx gray

No one except you in this thread has said anything regarding a grabby clutch. "Grabby" (abrupt engagement) clutches are a completely different problem than a "dragging", or creeping clutches (incomplete release).

hey I wheelie, I had the same problem on the same bike 2 months ago. will the creeping go away after you crack the throttle? anyway grooves in the hub and basket will hold the plates together until enough force breaks them free, i.e. rev. engine. I'm replaced everything! hub, hinson steel basket for wear and flywheel weight,clutch pack(ebc),springs. should have it done next week ,but I'm positive that is my problem.I messed with for a month. I had filled down the basket teeth,different oil, but I didn't look closely enough at the hub, after further inspection I found it was grooved also.

I have had two 450s, and in my experience the stock clutch boss is made of play dough. I would replace it without question.

I have had two 450s, and in my experience the stock clutch boss is made of play dough. I would replace it without question.
The stock bosses hold up reasonably well. Obviously not as well as Hinsons, but most applications don't call for something that strong. If you need a boss, consider this:

Hinson/GYT-R boss: $280

4 (Four) OEM bosses: $240

:moon:

Thats true, they are significantly cheaper, but If I'm gonna take something apart, its gonna get an upgrade if possible. I guess I'm a little biased because I get these things at dealer cost, but not having to redo the basket and boss again even at retail would be more then worth it to me. I guess he has to decide whats more important.

Thats true, they are significantly cheaper, ... I guess he has to decide whats more important.
Some of us have budget constraints to think about, too, and the question is one of cost/benefit anyway.

Pressure plates and baskets are different matters because the price is much closer to upgrade, and in fact, in the case of a basket, Hinson/GYT-R baskets actually cost less than the OEM part, so if the driven gear and cushion assembly is healthy, why would anyone chose not to upgrade?

But the boss in both my '06's is over two years old and causing no problems at present, so I don't have a problem spending 20% of the price of the best boss I can get, even if it only lasts half as long.

As far as the pressure plate goes, the OEM parts in the '06 and up are much better than their predecessors were, and unless I were doing an '06 9 plate clutch conversion on an '07+, or the plate was damaged or worn, I don't see why it would need to be replaced, or what the advantage would be to most people.

Again, very severe use, or modified engines for SM or flat track are another matter.