2010 will not start.

After months of waiting I took home my new bike last night. I started it twice at my dealership and even rode around the parking lot. Once I got it home I serviced the air filter with no toil and adjusted the levers etc... I thought I'd warm it up for another heat cycle before I put her to bed. Nothing... I tried with the cold knob and without. I opened the throttle per owners manual and kicked till my foot throbbed. I rechecked the filter, nope not over oiled. I even replaced the plug since it was wet. Still nothing. I even watched the 8 minute DVD that Yamaha supplied to the dealers on how to start this new wonder. Anybody else having problems starting the 2010 YZF450?:moon:

After months of waiting I took home my new bike last night. I started it twice at my dealership and even rode around the parking lot. Once I got it home I serviced the air filter with no toil and adjusted the levers etc... I thought I'd warm it up for another heat cycle before I put her to bed. Nothing... I tried with the cold knob and without. I opened the throttle per owners manual and kicked till my foot throbbed. I rechecked the filter, nope not over oiled. I even replaced the plug since it was wet. Still nothing. I even watched the 8 minute DVD that Yamaha supplied to the dealers on how to start this new wonder. Anybody else having problems starting the 2010 YZF450?:moon:

Mine was really hard to start at the dealership and now it has been run for about 20 min. and it starts fine!

Once I got it home I serviced the air filter with no toil and adjusted the levers etc...

how soon after servicing the air filter did you try and start it? I usually let the bike sit overnight after cleaning the air filter before I start it.

When I got my 09 I had the same problem, what it ended up being was i was still trying to start it like a two stroke. I learned never touch the throttle, if you give it any gas before or during the starting process you will most likely flood it. I dont know how the 2010s are but my carb has a allen key that releases the fuel out the filter, this is a crucial step for me if its been sitting the new gas goes bad so quick. But I think the 2010 is injected, so dont know if this will help, but here you go good luck.

I had a thought while reading this: You know how a freshly oiled filter will drool into the air box if you install it before it's had time to set up? Where would the oil go in a 2010? :moon:

Yeah gray that is a good question :cheers:

I'll try w/o the filter tonight after work. I had just oiled the filter about an hour prior. I don't overdo it though. The Yamaha DVD stresses about finding TDC, seems like a step backwards from the previous models. Reminds me of my 1998 YZF400 procedure.:moon:

I use No-Toil and if you don't oil the filter the night before it makes any bike hard to start. I've never had a problem with it eating my filters either. Even if it did eat the filters it would still be better than having the solvents you have to clean other filters with eating your brain cells.

Doug, maybe it is just new and cold weather. After I bought my 09 last January, I had the same problem. brought it home and it wouldn't start. I stuck it in the van for an hour (warm it up) and it started right off.

I still have that problem. Before I went to NEMX last week, it wouldn't start. Even tried to jump start it, but nothing. Stuck it in the van for an hour or so, and it started off, but it ran rough for about 5 seconds. I tried to start it and had it half flooded. Probable tried starting it for 1 to 1.5 hours before I put it in the van. Starting fluid didn't even work.

I think the bike is just cold Doug. Your weather sucks just like ours .

I'll try w/o the filter tonight after work. I had just oiled the filter about an hour prior. I don't overdo it though. The Yamaha DVD stresses about finding TDC, seems like a step backwards from the previous models. Reminds me of my 1998 YZF400 procedure.:cheers:

I have also found that No Toil takes much longer to set up in the cold weather and can really make my bikes hard to start so I let the filters stand a while before installing. Bumping past TDC will help the bike start too (pretty much had to do that on my 09 CRF450). Lots going on with these new battery-less EFI bikes when you push down on that kickstart lever....you have to power up the computer and fuel pump and then the computer has to figure out what position the crank is in and then decide when and how much fuel to inject....all in one kick stroke. That is why a couple of slow kicks to charge things up sometimes helps. Hope you get that new bike started soon you can give us a ride report!:moon:

we took a NEW (only started once at the dealer) 2010 to an indoor facility yesterday...here in MN it was low teens for a high and bike had been sitting in a cold shed for over a week. It sat inside until we got signed up/ready to ride for maybe half an hour...and was a BEAR to start...it's my buds bike, but i helped out and wore out my right leg as well...after 10min. or so of kicking (finding TDC first), it finally started!! Was great for the rest of the night. He let me ride it at 1.5hrs on the hour meter...my first ride on an F.I. dirtbike. It was everything i expected!!