HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyinguitars

design changes?

6 posts in this topic

Does anybody know if Yamaha has changed the design of the gearbox, clutch, gas tank, or any of the common problem areas of the '00 426 for the '01 model? I have a deposit on an '01 and I'm having second thoughts after following this forum for the past few weeks. Dont get me wrong, I understand anything mechanical is going to have problems and that problems are going to surface in an owner forum, but there are alot of gripes here about this bike. What I'm trying to ask is:....would you buy a new 2001 426 if you were shopping for a bike again?

Thanks for you insight,

Mike

Originally posted by flyinguitars:

Does anybody know if Yamaha has changed the design of the gearbox, clutch, gas tank, or any of the common problem areas of the '00 426 for the '01 model? I have a deposit on an '01 and I'm having second thoughts after following this forum for the past few weeks. Dont get me wrong, I understand anything mechanical is going to have problems and that problems are going to surface in an owner forum, but there are alot of gripes here about this bike. What I'm trying to ask is:....would you buy a new 2001 426 if you were shopping for a bike again?

Thanks for you insight,

Mike

I'm still waiting for my 00/426 news.

She broke the gearbox and Yamaha is still investigating...

I'll let you all (thumpertalk users) know.

(s.m.)

------------------

(S. Mendes)

Portugal

According to what I have read in the various magazines, changes will include:

Redesigned clutch. Again. :)

New crank, counterbalancer drive gear will be held in place with splines, not a key.

Titanium valves

Redesigned accelerator pump

Different off-idle ignition curve to aid starting

Whatever pin in shifting mechanism that used to be pressed in is now integral to the part.

And of course new front brakes, new bumpers in forks and other changes shared with the 250.

But I already own a 426 so you won’t catch me on a Yam showroom anytime soon.

To answer your question I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this bike to a friend but I would first explain that it is a more complex machine than the two strokes that everybody is used to. Of course it’s way better as well (for fun or racing) but there is no free lunch. They also seem to hold their value much better than a two stroke.

Mike,

I haven't read anything to indicate that these items where changed, with the exception of the clutch.

If you want a competitive four stroke, I think your only choices are between the 426 and the KTM.

Honda or Suzuki may have something by next year, but performance and reliability will be no better than what the first YZ400s offered, (because they will require a major re-design). Cannondale, if they stick with it, won't be worthy for another 2 years.

The KTM would be attractive to me because of its weight, but everything that I've read when comparing the two always points to the 426 as the better bike.

I have a 426 with just about 140 hours on it. I spend most the time jumping the bike and riding tracks. Not much trail stuff. I take very good care of the bike, but I work it very very hard when I ride.

My only real complaint with the bike was the valving on the forks. Way too much high-compression. All the other stuff I changed was just to make it interesting (pipe, bars, seat cover, sprockets...etc.) Nothing that you wouldn't do with any bike to suit your riding style.

However, if you want just a general recreational 4 stroke, you do have the wrong bike. The YZ is a race bike, and it's operational nature and care is condusive to this.

In other words, it's probably wrong to generalize the 400/426s as "4-strokes". That term makes me think of TTs, XTs, and XR. No comparison.

So bottom line is that it really depends on what you expect and what you want to use the bike for.

Lastly, don't be gullible to what is a bad source for real statistics. All mechandise of mass production will have a percentage of failures - and the more specialized it is, the more complicated the design, production, and usage.

Hope that helps.

DaveJ

I'd recommend the 426, unless you're riding in the same class with me - in that case I'd suggest a nice, well cared for, early seventies Hodaka Super Rat. :)

I haven't had the chance to ride a KTM 520SX, but I've heard that it's a viable alternative - if you like orange and phallic fenders.

[This message has been edited by holeshot (edited 10-09-2000).]

Hey,

I used to have a Hodaka dirt squirt 100! What a death trap that thing was! Bottomed out everytime I jumped it and would want to throw me off it on every landing.

Anyway....I still plan on purchasing the 01 yz426. I put down the deposit a few weeks ago and I have been going back and fourth about the whole motocross 4 stroke thing, but im going to go with my gut and go for it! Ive been riding a tricked 98 rm250 (the one with the psyco powerband) so i think i should be cool with the power and weight of the 426. I'll post pics of the new thumper and pics of the modifications and maintenance as i go.

Thanks for the feedback and any other opinions are appreciated,

Mike