Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wes Woodin

Yet another delay!

35 posts in this topic

Unbelievable! Another Dr.D pipe that doesn't fit. This time it's the mid pipe. It's bent too far upward and it rest on the shock bladder. Brand new 09 that hasn't even been started. Supposed to ride this weekend. We'll see. Il keep you posted and will post pictures tomorrow. Also on my 08 the head pipe would allow me to remove the screws for the oil filter and drop the housing. I believe they changed the head pipe a little bit because it will run right in dront of the housing, which sucks.

finally................... today got the replacement pipe today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can you believe it!!!!!!!!!!................. it fit. If I ever order another Dr. D. pipe and it doesn't fit, i will nerver spec it on another bike. I will go FMF. I'm so tired of wasted time.

That is so unlike Dr.d.

Yeah right! How many have you bought? I speak from experience. Both of the pipes I bought came through WPS , and 1 out of three fit.

Dr D 's nuts get hugged so much on this site you would think that his stuff is golden or something! :moon: I have been around here long enough to remember when a member did some dyno testing on many of the aftermarket systems...and Dr Ds actually lost some power in the mid/upper rpms. He was getting some bad press and since he is a supporting vendor he apparently complained to TT staff and the thread was nixed. I wont buy his stuff. I am sure that the new stuff is much better, however.

I bought a used YZ250F in mid-2008 that came with a DRD pipe on it. I also got the stock pipe in a box with some parts. I sold the DRD and have been using the stock pipe ever since, even with the Athena 290cc top end.

I have had a DRD pipe in the past on my 06 and it done a good job all but going through packing alot. I was considering another one for my 2010 model 450f but backed out.

I have an FMF 4.1 full Titanium with megabomb header coming that should be here in the next few days(should be friday).

Yeah right! How many have you bought? I speak from experience. Both of the pipes I bought came through WPS , and 1 out of three fit.

I have used them for several years and I buy a new bike every year and add the Dr.d , I have never had a problem with them.

I have been around here long enough to remember when a member did some dyno testing on many of the aftermarket systems...and Dr Ds actually lost some power in the mid/upper rpms. He was getting some bad press and since he is a supporting vendor he apparently complained to TT staff and the thread was nixed.
There is quite a lot of misinformation in that.

There is quite a lot of misinformation in that.

Maybe so...am I not remembering it correctly? Was the power loss elsewhere? I also think that it was only speculation that someone from Dr D complained about the thread, but it did get deleted. Regardless, the point is, every manufacturer will make mistakes...its how they take care of the customer when these mistakes happen. I do feel that Dr D's products are inflated a bit on this site. :moon:

Maybe so...am I not remembering it correctly? Was the power loss elsewhere? I also think that it was only speculation that someone from Dr D complained about the thread, but it did get deleted. Regardless, the point is, every manufacturer will make mistakes...its how they take care of the customer when these mistakes happen. I do feel that Dr D's products are inflated a bit on this site. :moon:
I don't recall that DRD was ever a sponsor, for one thing, and I know of no case in which any thread that was critical of any product was pulled if that thread was a reasonable, fact based criticism of that product. TT does not allow "smear campaigns" based on someone simply being mad at somebody, etc., though. Any thread or post determined to fall into that category will be removed.

TT also allows any person representing a product or service to rebut such criticisms in a direct factual manner, as long as it does not rise to the level of promoting the product. If the company in question is a sponsor, they have more latitude in the discussion.

As to whether you personally feel that DRD exhausts are over-hyped by users here, you are entitled to that opinion, but there is usually a reason for a product being popular over a long period of time. IMO, the DRD systems offered in the past have been shown repeatedly to widen and flatten the power curve with an emphasis on extending the range of usable power. They have never been nor claimed to be targeted toward a focus on maximum peak power, although tests usually show a slight (generally not more than 1 hp) increase at peak. I find they make the bike more rideable, and at the prices they have been offered at in the past, the stainless systems offered an excellent value overall, all of which makes them a good choice for a majority of users.

Well, I know for sure that the thread existed and that Dr D 's pipe lost power...IIRC it was down low. Anyway, I may be wrong but he was a sponsor or supporting vendor back in 03/04 when this dyno test was done. It wasnt a smear campaign at all...the results were listed of all the pipes...I believe in the CRF forum and when it showed the loss of power with the Dr D pipe people started recommending against it. It has been a while back so my memory of it isnt that great, but that is the gist of it. The thread was removed and I dont think a reason was given...but everyone suspected that the only reason was Dr Ds products were taking a hit and since he was a vendor the thread was removed. When did you become a mod? Maybe ask Brian about it? I am sure you have the ability to peruse old deleted threads..go look in the crf450 forums back in that time about a exhaust dyno comparison.

So you're going to dredge up a 6 year old test by an unnamed tester on a different brand of bike, and a rumor of a manufacturer's alleged complaint as a reason for disliking the product today? Very well, then.

Touche...

But the person who did the test is a very well respected guy on here. Cant remember who it was though. Anyway, sorry to drag the thread off course!

All I can say is that the ti/ti pipe I've got make way more power than my stock unit.

Must be the ti/ti combo:smirk: