HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
917rider

first ride 2010 yz 450

19 posts in this topic

i have a 2008 yz 450 that has a 480 kit in it and just about every mod u can do to it just took my son riding this weekend and left mine at home.one of my friends showed up with the 2010 and i just happened to have my gear lol anyways i was very excited cause im planning on getting one. the first lap the thing that caught me first was the snap of the throttle by the second lap i guess i got used to it and it never crossed my mind again if u just blip it its very responsive if u just nail it the power fells very fluid but down in the mid and top compared to my bike the suspension is very good and so is the handling i felt right at home by the second lap the wide radiators are weird at first but u dont notice them riding it.it deff turns better and fells light. i didnt notice any vibration at all but i did notice my hands pumped up almost on the first lap i didnt really care though cause the smile on my face was to big i just figured it was because it wasent set up like i like it overall i came away liking it very much but not as much as i thought i would have its nice dont get me wrong but on the track as i was doing laps it hit me im still a vet b rider and this is still just a dirt bike thats not making me any faster funny thing is right after another buddy let me ride his 2010 kx 450 and i really felt good right away and started ripping of lap times but no way would i admit i was riding a kawie better than my yamaha ill never switch i love yamaha but riding the new one its good but not great and still just a dirt bike i think ill wait till 2011 :moon::cry::cheers::cry:i wish i never test rode it first i really wanted one and wanted to belive the hype:thumbsup: the track was arenacross with a mix of supercross with some nice whoops

Thanks for the report, but, why are you upset that you rode one BEFORE you put down money and were disappointed?

because i really wanted one in my garage and was ready to pull the trigger and was beliving all the hype now that i rode it i know its just another really good bike but heck i all ready got that:cry::moon::cry::cheers::cry::smirk:

You have me a little bummed out now. I am going to ride mine for the first time today. I didn't expect it to be like a SUPER bike but if it feels more nimble and turns better then I will be super happy. Now a days the races are won in the corners because everyone jumps everything. I always struggled in the corners with my 07, 08 and 09. So what did you think about the cornering?

Well I'm ready for mine when it gets here. I know it's not going to do the riding for me and I know it's not going to do the jumps on its own for me.

I just know I'm coming off a 06 yz450 and this bike that is coming is a 2010 and i'm sure that yamaha has improved it since 06 and i will be more than satisfied about it regardless what other people say.

I cant wait till next month when it gets here and I can put the FMF 4.1 full exhaust system on it that I ordered on the 23rd of Dec. and the deCal works full bike kit.

I cant wait, I cant wait, I cant wait!!!!!!!!!! I want to go ride :moon::cheers::smirk:

I cant wait till next month when it gets here and I can put the FMF 4.1 full exhaust system on it that I ordered on the 23rd of Dec. and the deCal works full bike kit.

QUOTE]

Which decal works kit did you get? I should get mine on Thursday. I got the T-7 in silver, black, and red. Hope I don't scuff the bike up to much today so they still go on good.

QUOTE]

Which decal works kit did you get? I should get mine on Thursday. I got the T-7 in silver, black, and red. Hope I don't scuff the bike up to much today so they still go on good.

I also got the T-7. The accent colors were

1= yz blue

2= black

3= white

My background color was black with white #'s

I also got the T-7. The accent colors were

1= yz blue

2= black

3= white

My background color was black with white #'s

I just ordered the same color scheme but with yellow back grounds and black numbers!

You have me a little bummed out now. I am going to ride mine for the first time today. I didn't expect it to be like a SUPER bike but if it feels more nimble and turns better then I will be super happy. Now a days the races are won in the corners because everyone jumps everything. I always struggled in the corners with my 07, 08 and 09. So what did you think about the cornering?

What did you think Z? If definitely corners better, huh?:moon:

Yer gonna luv it then:thumbsup:

I just ordered the same color scheme but with yellow back grounds and black numbers![/quote

COOL!!!!!! I think that scheme looks killer:thumbsup:

my son has one and we let a friend that is a vet rider ride it sunday.first thing he said is "it turns good"he buys a new bike every year and has been riding a yz 250 2 stroke because of bad turning 450's.i think he will soon have a new yz450f!!

the higher level rider you are, the bigger differences you will feel.

In the tour de france bicycle races, the riders can tell to the milimeter on the adjustments on their seats, handlebars, cranks, etc. how their bike feels.

if its not exactly their specs, it throws their entire feel off, resulting in lesser performance/endurance.

likewise, the higher level mx riders will have big advantages in the improvements, while novices, beginners, casual riders may not make a difference.

so dont feel bummed out. time to get on the box!

Ok, I rode my 2010 for the first time yesterday. First let me give you some background information.

Rider:

I am 36 years old and have been riding motorcycles since I was 8. I feel I am a pretty good rider. I was really into racing during the 90's and held an AMA Pro License in 1998. I stopped riding in 2000 and started back in 2007. This year I qualified 3rd in the Southeast Loretta Lynn Regional in the +30b/c class. Unfortunately I have no results from LL's because in my first moto in the first turn my left leg got hung in another dude's bike and it twisted until both my tib/fib broke. So when I ride my bike now it has extra titanium parts (15 inch rod in my leg. haha).

Track:

This is an old school track that was raced back in the late 80's and has set basically untouched since the early 90's. There are not many jumps, it is hard packed with rocks, and most of the turns are either flat without ruts or are banked corners.

The ride:

So, as you can tell from above, this was the first time on a bike since Aug 5th. I am now 10lbs heavier than I was when I crashed and way out of shape. My leg is still a little sore and I am a little timid. This was just a day to break the bike in and I didn't really get on it that much. The first thing I noticed was the bottom end. It is awesome. It is nice to finally have a Yamaha with some punch. But for me right now it is a little too much. Being out of shape, my arms get tired very quickly and it becomes hard to control, but I like it. I have a DRD on order and I hear this makes this a little smoother. Next would be the suspension. I can't say much about this. It was very stiff and needs to break in first. As far as the weight and feeling nimble, I wouldn't say it feels like a 250F. Heck, I wouldn't say it was much different than any 450 I have ridden. (like the suspension, I really need to get this on a track that I have turned a lot of laps on to really judge). Turning - The front end does feel much more stable when going through the corners. I am still on my toes from previous models just waiting for the front end to push, so I have to get past that and push this one a little more to see what it can do. As for the overall cornering, I need more time on it. This track is not one I have ridden in years and the corners are not like other tracks, if that makes sense.

Summary, This was a break in day and I need more time on it and at more tracks. I love the bottom end. I didn't have a chance at this track to see what the top was like. Next time I ride it though, I will have a different exhaust and things will be different. I look forward to seeing how it handles on tracks I know better. So far, I like it and it looks bad@ss. Oh, and the most exciting part to me is NO JETS!!!!!! I hate dealing with carbs. WOOHOO

the higher level rider you are, the bigger differences you will feel.

In the tour de france bicycle races, the riders can tell to the milimeter on the adjustments on their seats, handlebars, cranks, etc. how their bike feels.

if its not exactly their specs, it throws their entire feel off, resulting in lesser performance/endurance.

likewise, the higher level mx riders will have big advantages in the improvements, while novices, beginners, casual riders may not make a difference.

so dont feel bummed out. time to get on the box!

i dont agree with this i race just about every other weekend and i still ride very aggersive and on some nights the fastest rider on the track i ride nothing but yamahas and will continue to ride yamahas the 2010 is a great bike but so are the other brands and the 06-07-08-09 yamahas the thing is maybe i got my hopes up to much because of all the hype and i was heart broken to relize its just another dirt bike the kawasaki i rode felt better but i can go fast on any bike i get on its all about u and getting the feel for the bike your on and riding to its strong points since ive started this thread ive changed my mind and im going to buy one but only cause i want a new bike and i wont change colors even though i had dreams about green ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

^whether you agree or not, its a fact. Otherwise, the pros would not bother to run anything but stock bikes.

Why bother buying a new bike? Its just another dirt bike.

Maybe you should just train harder, its like getting a new body.

A new body is better since a new bike is just the same old bike.:moon:

sorry the rider makes the bike not the other way around and bubba would smoke all of us on a 2000 yz 250 and as for the pros modifying there bikes is for mostly suspension and set up reasons and just cause they can put all the good stuff on just another dirt bike and everybody out there should work on physical shape cause your right that is what makes the diff on lap 10 of 15 laps not if your riding a 2009 or a 2010 i just simply said the 2010 was a really good bike but so are the other new bikes and the older yamahas and i try to buy a new bike every year this year will be no diff. thanks:banana:

ive ridden the 2010..

for a stock bike it is very good.. but if ur comming off a modified bike then i would wait till 2011.

i rode it back to back with my 07..

it has full mb1 suspension,22.5 pc clamps, and some engine mods..

what i noticed on the 2010 was that it handled just like my 07 did with the new clamps. it was turn and twist..

the frame feels nice between ur legs. the rad shrouds were a funny shape(had a hard time griping) and they put ur knees at a werid angle.

as far as power is concerned.. alot on the bottom but fell flat around 8-9 grand.. a new map or a pipe would take care of it..

its a killer bike in stock form.. just not that big of an improvement if u have ur later model set up..