HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJDirtdog1

13:5:1 piston

11 posts in this topic

Hey if anyone could help me i am thinking about switching to a 13:5:1 HC piston, 03 yz450f, just wondering if it is necessary to do any honing of the cylinder. On Wisecos site if you look at the piston itself it says to hone cylinder. But if you check out the whole kit it doesnt say anything about this. Also im wondering what exactly honing a head is all about and if that consists of a machine shop doing the work?

Honing is simply cross hatching the cylinder, meaning going up and down with a hone to remove score marks. This allows the rings to have a nice smooth surface to re break into. You can buy a hone at an auto parts store, get the right size, and attach it to a drill.

Honing is simply cross hatching the cylinder, meaning going up and down with a hone to remove score marks. This allows the rings to have a nice smooth surface to re break into. You can buy a hone at an auto parts store, get the right size, and attach it to a drill.
Actually, a hone removes the "smooth" glaze, and provides a rough surface to properly seat the rings....

Hey if anyone could help me i am thinking about switching to a 13:5:1 HC piston, 03 yz450f, just wondering if it is necessary to do any honing of the cylinder. On Wisecos site if you look at the piston itself it says to hone cylinder. But if you check out the whole kit it doesnt say anything about this. Also im wondering what exactly honing a head is all about and if that consists of a machine shop doing the work?
Whenever replacing the rings, the cylinder should always be honed to refinish it. The exception is a new cylinder from Yamaha.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4380759#post4380759

Actually, a hone removes the "smooth" glaze, and provides a rough surface to properly seat the rings....

I should watch how I say what I say. That's what I meant.:moon:

Humm thanks. Never knew you could actually buy one, something else i would have to look into i have done rings before and pistons but never really touched up the head in anyway. Guess that would have been good to know at the time. My gf has a blaster that i did the top end on no hone still runs strong. Also my warrior i did the same. But when it comes to the 450 not a step of proper care will be missed. I will have to see what i can find to hone the cylinder. Thank you.

Stock bore is 3.75 why would i go that much over? Seems like i would be taking more off than needed.

Also i am not doubting your knowledge, just wondering why?

The sizes available are 3.75 and 4.125. This is the diameter of the hone, not the bore size it is intended to resurface. The hone depends on spring pressure, and if the hone and the bore are the same size, there won't be any. I have used 3.75" hones in bores that size before, but it's not ideal, and requires that the hone be tilted at angles to the bore axis in order to accomplish anything.

If you follow the instruction in the post I linked to, extremely little material will actually be removed in any case. That, by the way, is why I don't use a harder abrasive than what I recommended; I don't want to change the size or shape of the cylinder, just refinish it. That the hone wears a bit faster is OK with me.

Hey thanks for the info, didnt even notice that link at first, but that explained to a T what is needed to be done. Really appreciated, i will have to post after hone and say how it turns out.