YZF or WR ?

Hello guys,

I'm an average to advanced rider. I want to get a bike I can ride decently fast in the desert, trails and exploring. I like to ride Ocotillo Wells, Borrego Springs and Johnson Valley area. I definately do not to track time.

I am 6'2", 250. For all around type of riding, would you guys reccomend a WR or a YZF ? I know that whatever I get, it will need the suspension gone through.

I am looking at 426s. I can get screaming deals on YZFs, but then it would need a desert tank and lighting. Would it be worth it ? Or should I just go for a WR ?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

The WR

Based on your height and weight you can man handle as needed in the technical stuff. The bike's size and weight require that, it's not super nimble when it gets super gnarly but bigger guys like us (read; tall and fat:busted:), can definitely make it work.

I have been able to ride and race competitively all of my WR's at an "A level" so don't worry about it holding you back any just identify the things like suspension, free mods, etc... when choosing one.

All of my riding buddies are buying YZ's for their "flickability". I personally haven't seen much "flicking" going on, & I'm pretty happy with my WR (& it's only a 250).

He is right! All my friends also are buying the YZs, But I am just as fast and even faster than most of them!!!! Get the suspension done and this bike seems to dissappear from beneath you..:moon:

Well guys.....thanks for all your feedback. I ended up picking up an 01 YZ426. It has ProTec suspension valved for 225 Lbs., pipe, JD jet kit, brand new Maxxis IT desert tires, desert tank,triple clamps, hand guards, 8oz flywheel weight, and a brand new motor from the dealer with receipts 6 months ago. It runs great. The motor was totally cold and started on the second kick and idled perfect. Pulls real hard.

I picked up the bike for $1,200.....I think it was a steal.

tell me what you guys think.

YZF.jpg

Well guys.....thanks for all your feedback. I ended up picking up an 01 YZ426. It has ProTec suspension valved for 225 Lbs., pipe, JD jet kit, brand new Maxxis IT desert tires, desert tank,triple clamps, hand guards, 8oz flywheel weight, and a brand new motor from the dealer with receipts 6 months ago. It runs great. The motor was totally cold and started on the second kick and idled perfect. Pulls real hard.

I picked up the bike for $1,200.....I think it was a steal.

tell me what you guys think.

YZF.jpg

Good bike. Put a rekluse on it and you'll get most of the benefits of e-start.

have fun!