Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motoxmann

01 KX500 VS. 01 CR500 Which is faster?

61 posts in this topic

Well, being as bolt on mods only do a little, such as changing power characteristics and throttle response. It is going to come down to which color you like better. Both have a loyal cult following, but I think you will find more CR's out there in the world; at least in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the KX500 is a faster bike, which I have heard from many people who raced 500s back in the day. That said they are both fast as hell and very few people will ever need that much power.

I'm sure that can depend just as much on the rider too. I bet you could probably find a bunch of guys that say the CR 500 is faster...... but like you said, no one will ever need or use all that power to actually find out which is the faster bike. :moon:

The ultimate answer is, whicher one has the better rider on top.

If you have to ask, you don't need to know. If you think only jets, pipes, and reeds are going to make significant changes in power... you don't need to know. If you have to compare an 01 to an 01, you don't need to know (the motors of both bikes went relatively unchanged from their birth in the mid 80's to their demise in the early to mid 2000's). But, I will humor you.

As a stock motor, the KX makes more horsepower. The power valves allow for a broader spread of power, the KX revs out a little more while still maintaining its midrange. The CR, without a power valve, allows much more flexibility in porting. It's much easier to crank some extra horsepower out of the CR. The KX was hot in the desert where rideability and power are important. The CR was hot on the beach and on the hill climbs where raw power is important regardless of delivery. Plus, the CR just looks better.

If I had both bikes I would take the CR for MX and tight woods, and the KX for everything else. Me and my friends used to ride 500's, I had an '86 CR, the others were KX's (88 & 91). Like mentioned above, it's rare you can apply all the power of any 500 for very long, but the power delivery was very different between them. Based on my beer addled memory, the '86 CR was the most violent or light switchy, the KX's were smoother, in fact the '91 was the smoothest but the bottem end was brutal, I loved that '91 KX.

In a drag race between the 3, it typically came down to who started best.

I've had a few of both. I've never been beat by a Kx500 up Old's at Glamis while on a Cr500 . I've raced plenty. The Kx has more more of a stable feel and less of a hit. I like the Kx on the trails. The Cr is hard to beat in the sand and it's hits like a dragster. I can't ride either well on a track. I did have a Cr500 geared for a 104mph , verified by a radar gun. It did pretty well in the desert. Both bikes are fun. I'm old now so I prefer the Kx. There's nothing like the feeling of a Cr hooked up and pulling so hard you can't let of the throttle , untils the power falls off.

The ultimate answer is, whicher one has the better rider on top.

Plus, the CR just looks better.

Your damn right about that.. If you have 2 bikes, with the same mods, and the same cc's.. its all in the rider, not the bike.

It also depends on what kind of riding your doing. Some bikes have strong points where others dont.

Ive owned 2 CR500's and was very impressed with both of them, Ive also ridden 2 or 3 KX500's and wasnt impressed with the handling but like any 2 stroke 500.. the power was there.

But I totally agree, its all in the rider. Not the bike

The CR jets easily and carburates perfectly nearly all the time. I've heard the kX500 (stock) makes more power (I've also heard they don't carburate as cleanly) but the CR500 is just a better bike. I've owned an 89 CR500 and a 95 CR500. I couldn't tell any difference in power. The 01 KX looks cutting edge 1987. The 01 CR500 looks cutting edge 1992. KX through 93 probably had better stock suspension. Both are probably a blast.

I knew I should have kept my '89 and turn it into a replica :moon:

9018_154149045820_547585820_3971813_2935218_n.jpg

There is a guy and I remember seeing vids on youtube he makes the replica works swing arms for the bikes! sweet stuff

1 person likes this

My brother owned a mint '96 KX500 at the same time I owned my '94 CR500. To me, the KX felt more like a 350 than a 500. I will say though that that bike had alot of over-rev and great suspension.

we ride in the central florida oak and pine forests, trees every 6 sq feet, a lot of high speed turning when we are chasing each other. I rode a friends mint KX500 a few years ago and it just would not turn like the CR500's I've been on, both steel and alum frame. Not a comfortable bike to me but of course it wasn't set up by me. I think the steel frame CR500's turn almost as well as the alum frame conversions, maybe better than some. My conversion is on an 03 CR125 chassis and turns on a pin. I just rode a friends 05 Service Honda done on a CRf250 chassis and it did not turn as well as mine but again not set up by me.

Let's just put it this way.The world speed record for a dirtbike isn't held by a CR500.:moon: