HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stev0

What handguards are you running, Post a pic.

24 posts in this topic

Im looking for a set of guards for the 450. I never wanted to ride with them but I find that branches are pulling my levers more and more.

Anyhow...

what do you recommend?

Cycra

141_0911_01_ih+DR_tested+cycra_center_reach_mount_hand_guards.jpg

Fastway

141_0910_05_z+what_kind_of_bike_should_i_buy+2006_Yamaha_YZ125_fastway_handguards.jpg

Barkbusters

Egos%20-%20mini.jpg

Hyde

hp_hg_1_j.jpg

Zeta

8d1712061b204c44b8af05a67248403b.jpg

and then there are penty of these universal non backbone Acerbis design handguards that are pretty cheap.

ACERBIS%20RALLY%20PRO.jpg

Any ideas?

I am running the Cycra Pro-bends and like them. They tend to bend down a lot and I am constantly pulling them back up. I have the bar mounted ones and perhaps the ones that attach to the handle bar clamps would work better. When I get the new bike I will look into that. My hands have been saved from flying rocks and branches and no broken levers since I put them on.

Fox

i am running the barkbusters. I recon either these or acerbis look the best. Also they all basically do the same job just make sure you get ones the connect to the triple clamp so they dont move easiily. Other then that go and buy a pair you like the look of best

the acerbis and other knock offs use pot metal aluminum versus a heat treated aluminum bar. Very soft. I've had numerous pairs that I have bashed into a new shape and had to take them off and hammer them into the correct shape again. Next go around, the Cycra guards for me.

I have Cycras on my 00 KX250 and didn't really like them too much. I have the Pro Bends top clamp mounted and found they bend very easily, sometimes causing interference with the controls. I wound up fabricating a piece of aluminum that mounts between the inner mounts to distribute any hits across the whole assembly instead of just one side.

For my 05 I decided to go with G2 Ergonomics. The same company that makes those throttle cams. They are a much better product compared to the Cycras. With the Cycras I had to totally reshape the contour so they didn't add too much width to my bike. The G2's were already contoured for a tight fit and slightly angled so it's not as rough bouncing off trees. They come with little discs that you can use as bar ends if you remove the guards, I thought that was a nice feature. I never had a problem with them bending, only slightly tweaking in the mounts. All I have to do is loosen the 3 mounting bolts (same size allen key) and straighten them out.

IMG_2760.jpg

Awesome! I have in the meantime got some cheap $30 plastic guards that do wrap around but seem pretty tough.

If they do break... nothing lost really...

Ill post some pix soon.

I have Cycras on my 00 KX250 and didn't really like them too much. I have the Pro Bends top clamp mounted and found they bend very easily, sometimes causing interference with the controls. I wound up fabricating a piece of aluminum that mounts between the inner mounts to distribute any hits across the whole assembly instead of just one side.

For my 05 I decided to go with G2 Ergonomics. The same company that makes those throttle cams. They are a much better product compared to the Cycras. With the Cycras I had to totally reshape the contour so they didn't add too much width to my bike. The G2's were already contoured for a tight fit and slightly angled so it's not as rough bouncing off trees. They come with little discs that you can use as bar ends if you remove the guards, I thought that was a nice feature. I never had a problem with them bending, only slightly tweaking in the mounts. All I have to do is loosen the 3 mounting bolts (same size allen key) and straighten them out.

IMG_2760.jpg

Where did you get them from and how much were they? Also can you change out the plastics without replacing the whole guard? I have also run the Acerbis guards with the metal insert, but they bend easily and as soon as you dump the bike, they look like s**t with the scratches.

Where did you get them from and how much were they? Also can you change out the plastics without replacing the whole guard? I have also run the Acerbis guards with the metal insert, but they bend easily and as soon as you dump the bike, they look like s**t with the scratches.

I bought mine through the TT store, but you can get them right from G2 site http://www.g2ergo.com/ and I just saw they have 20% off right now.

Actually, the ones I got from TT were outdated, I called G2 and spoke to a guy named Sam, he sent me out a set of new/updated bars for FREE! Great guy, I was telling him how I had issues with the Cycras.

The set does not come with the plastic guards, you have to get those seperate. They can be removed by only two screws. Both the meatal guards and plastics come in all different colors. The plastic guards come with a small drill bit and self tapping screws to mount them.

I've used them out in the woods and MX races, any of my friends will tell you I crash ALOT. Like I said, the G2's DO NOT bend, they just tweak in the mounts a bit. I really like the streamlined shape of the G2's instead of the big monkey ear flaps other brands look like.

For my 05 I decided to go with G2 Ergonomics. They are a much better product compared to the Cycras. With the Cycras I had to totally reshape the contour so they didn't add too much width to my bike. The G2's were already contoured for a tight fit and slightly angled so it's not as rough bouncing off trees. They come with little discs that you can use as bar ends if you remove the guards, I thought that was a nice feature. I never had a problem with them bending, only slightly tweaking in the mounts. All I have to do is loosen the 3 mounting bolts (same size allen key) and straighten them out.

IMG_2760.jpg

I have been using the Cycra Probends for several years with no real issues so far , but Jeekins hit on the one thing that I hated about mounting the Cycras and that is the shape of the guards as they leave the end of the handle bar. I would much prefer the G2 contoured bend had I known about them sooner. They will be on my next bike for sure, although I like the pro-bend shape off of the end of the bar a bit better than the straight bar. 100_1091.jpg100_1052.jpg

I prefer the Bike Bonz mounts on the inboard side as I don't like the idea of shock loads from bouncing off of trees possibly damaging the threads in the triple clamps.

Also, FYI , I had a friend crash with the cheaper aluminum versions and we had to pry the guard off of his hand to get his hand off the handle bar, scary !!!. Thanks for the info Jeekins :moon: WR Dave

Those mounts you have would eliminate alot of the issues I have with the Cycras. The bars on the Cycras aren't bending so much, it's the mount for the triple clamp. The aluminum is soft as all hell, I have to whack them back into shape with a hammer. That's why I made up a brace to go in between them. I'll post a pic on Monday.

I have the Yamaha hand guards (which are basically the Acerbis hand guards with a Yamaha logo on it).

Handlebar%20covers_HR.jpg

you can have them in white too..

Crashed quite hard in September with the bike tumbling. The handlebars took a beating but apart from being displaced a bit (loosen the bolds, put it straight, tighten the bolds ) they were not bent and I had no damage at all to leavers. I did spend an hour or so cleaning all the dirt that got stuck in the throttle mechanism.

Oh, and I spent 3 months not driving because of a broken collar bone...:moon::busted:

If you are serious about handguards you at least have to consider enduro engineering. https://www.enduroeng.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Evolution+Debris+Deflectors%2C+Original+Debris+Deflectors%2C+and+Plastic+Roost+Deflectors

Mines have been abused for years and they still hold on straight. Only needed to replace the plastics....

Really tough to beat. One of my best riding buddy destroyed a pair of cycra in two seasons riding in the woods. He now only swears by enduro engineering for hand guards...

Not saying they are the best for everyone's application but it is definitely something to consider.

We always go for the old/original version https://www.enduroeng.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Evolution+Debris+Deflectors%2C+Original+Debris+Deflectors%2C+and+Plastic+Roost+Deflectors:Plastic+Roost+Deflectors as they cover hands better. Problem you will have with these is the bolts will go through the plastic after several crashes since they are bolting from behind the plastics into the aluminum brace...

i'm running the moose branded guards and deflectors. same exact as the new enduro engineering units. i've so far used cycras (seemed strong, but didn't fit too good), acerbis (fit great, but seemed "cheap" and not as "beefy" as the others), and now EE/moose (fit great and nice build quality). your mileage may vary.