09 WR450F Build, AIS, Exhaust, Speedo Swap, Weight Reduction

Got the bike finished this weekend minus below items that have not come in yet:

TurnTech Battery 2.5amp

Tubliss Tire Setup

R&D Power Pump 2 w leak jet adjust

R&D Flex Fuel Screw Adjust

Also I will be installing the Royco kit down the road. I will update when I do all of the above.

Here goes.

P1000709.jpg

Stock Head and Transmission Breather tubes and mount set up. Very bulky and get in the way of the carb. I am removing most of it and re-routing

P1000711.jpg

Here is the braket that is left when tubing and plastic T is removed.

P1000712.jpg

Bracket removed.

P1000713.jpg

I used some extra tubing I had laying around that fit up into the ID of the stock breather tube. Routed it down by the swing arm with the rest of Carb Venting tubes.

P1000715.jpg

You can see where the vent tube for the head is going to rest now. Before removing all the excess breather tube, you could not even see the carb from this side of the bike.

P1000716.jpg

For now I am going to let the tube rest right here. I may do something different in the future or put a one way valve on the end so no water can get up the tube.

P1000718.jpg

And this is what I got rid of!

P1000719.jpg

Next I moved onto the over flow for the radiator. I removed the over flow tank from the rear so I am re-routing the tube.

P1000720.jpg

Move down and behind the down tube of the frame

P1000721.jpg

It will go down into the skid plate. I will have a small plastic bottle that I still need to get that will be the actual over flow that will be zip tied onto the frame.

P1000723.jpg

Moving onto the air box. I already removed the snorkle but decided I wanted it to breath more. I got my air metal grinder bit out and removed the whole top of the air box.

P1000731.jpg

Removed this much.

P1000730.jpg

She can breath.

P1000732.jpg

This is the plug for my cluctch lever. I went to the full Sunline clutch perch and did not want the electrical clutch switch anyways (you have to pull it in if in gear to start bike)

P1000735.jpg

I did not want to cut the wires and splice together to close the loop. So I just added a dab of soder to the 2 ends which closed the loop perminately. If for some reason someone wants to have the stock perch down the road with extrical the soder can be removed.

P1000736.jpg

I also wanted to relocate the on/off switch so it was not hanging on the outside of the iupper triple clamp. I am mounting on the middle screw location on my Upper GPR tiple clamp where the top of the YZF450 number plate mounts. I am not running the stock front (or rear) light when racing or trail riding. I will only be running them when I am doing true dual sport rides.

P1000737.jpg

Took the bracket off the on/off switch

P1000738.jpg

Cut off the triple clamp mount section of it

P1000740.jpg

remounted it back to the switch

P1000742.jpg

Mounted it to the top of the triple clamp center plate mount

Its looking good so far :moon:

The only down side is once your done and you ride it, it will never look that nice again :cheers:

Finished her up:

Dr.D Full Exhaust which fit perfectly

Cycra ProBend Hand Gaurds. Took some work but got them fitted nicely

Cycra Front Vent Number Plate

Cycra Front Veented Fender

Lightspeed 1 Piece Skid Plate. very nice fit and look

P1000744.jpg

P1000745.jpg

P1000746.jpg

P1000747.jpg

P1000753.jpg

P1000754.jpg

Got it done at about 11pm on Friday night and rode at 7am on Sat morning at a place called Rock Creek (Georgetown) in Northern California. A lot of you from Norcal no this place.

It was perfect conditions:

P1000755.jpg

P1000756.jpg

Before!

P1000757.jpg

P1000758.jpg

SHE IS NOT NEW ANYMORE!

Impressions:

Basically this bike rips. I have been racing and riding supermoto sense October of 2007. Have been off of full trail riding for that long. It was really good to get out there again and be back home.

From about 30 seconds into the ride of 31 miles of mostly tight single track riding, the bike felt like I had rode it yesterday. I have built a few bikes in my days so I am pretty good at setting a bike up to my liking. But this bike fits me perfect. Bars, suspension setup, brakes and handling were spot on.

Suspension was plush (MB1 does his majic again). And the GPR 22mm offset triples with stabilizer was the shiat. The 22mm made the bike turn and feel like an R. I could point it anywhere I wanted and the input was perfect. We have a lot of tight riding in my neck of the woods so a quick turning bike is key. This bike turns really well which I was worried about.

Motor and Power. I went up from the stock 162 to a 16main per Dr.D recommendation. Kept the stock 45 pilot, went to the AIS needle on the forth clip and went out 2 turns on the fuel screw. Of course did the gray wire and elminated smog crap. And openned the air box completely as shown above. Plus geared the rear sprocket up to a 52 tooth from the 50 tooth stock. 1st gear is a serious crawler gear. On the nasty tight tech uphills you can just put it in 1st and let it crawl. I really like that. I was thinking on going rekluse but I am going to ride it some more and see if it is even needed. 2nd 3rd and 4th was a serious kick in the pants. I could not be happier with the pull and power of this bike. I rode it side by side with my buddies much lighter fuel injected 2009 Honda CRF450 with FMF Megabomb and Rekluse clutch and I think my WR had more pull or just as much. Which really surprised me as I was worried I was not going to be happy with the WR power. The pipe, jetting, airbox mods and gearing made this bike bark. Could not be happier!

Thats about it for now. I will update when I get new parts in. Any questions feel free to ask.

D

Its looking good so far :moon:

The only down side is once your done and you ride it, it will never look that nice again :cheers:

Thanks, I know! That part does suck but I got it out of the way already!

Lookin good :moon:

I would be a little worried about the crank breather hose sucking up water if you ride in as much water and mud as I do. But then I am from the wet coast.

These bikes rip when you derestrict them eh :cheers:

This bike is badd ass! :moon:. Like I said you really gave me some great ideas. As a matter of fact, I just got that odo elimanator spacer in the mail today! I will install it tomarrow. My E start has really never worked right since I got the bike, so I took out the battery. I cant wait to see if it handles any better with out the top heavy battery in their. Im not much into fabricating, but since seeing yours, Im going to try! Thanks for sharing..:cheers:

Lookin good :moon:

I would be a little worried about the crank breather hose sucking up water if you ride in as much water and mud as I do. But then I am from the wet coast.

These bikes rip when you derestrict them eh :smirk:

thank you! Yeah, I think I will be putting some type of fliter on the end. The location of that tube and the fact that the openning is lower than the Head, should really keep anything from getting all the way up and in. But better safe than sorry.

I think not only did the derestrict make this bike rip, but the pipe, openning the air box and gearing really helped. Well not to mention diet and jetting. My buddy has an 07 WR mainly stock with AIS and un-crorked pipe and I notice a pretty big differnce in bikes. He is getting a pipe now and doing some more mods to get it match.

This bike is badd ass! :cheers:. Like I said you really gave me some great ideas. As a matter of fact, I just got that odo elimanator spacer in the mail today! I will install it tomarrow. My E start has really never worked right since I got the bike, so I took out the battery. I cant wait to see if it handles any better with out the top heavy battery in their. Im not much into fabricating, but since seeing yours, Im going to try! Thanks for sharing..:smirk:

Thank you and I am glad this thread helps you. That is the main reason I took the time to post up. Not being a Yamaha or WR guy it took me months of research before buying the bike and all this time after to get it to where it is today. I had to do a lot of digging to find this stuff which I was time consuming. Not a lot of tech out there for WR's. Or should I say, MOD info. I wanted a R handling bike with close to the same power with the wide ratio tranny, E start and green sticker. I am pretty satisfied that I got what I wanted at this point. But not at a cheap price I may add!

thank you! Yeah, I think I will be putting some type of fliter on the end. The location of that tube and the fact that the openning is lower than the Head, should really keep anything from getting all the way up and in. But better safe than sorry.

I think not only did the derestrict make this bike rip, but the pipe, openning the air box and gearing really helped. Well not to mention diet and jetting. My buddy has an 07 WR mainly stock with AIS and un-crorked pipe and I notice a pretty big differnce in bikes. He is getting a pipe now and doing some more mods to get it match.

Yeah to me derestricting this bike includes jetting, AIS removal an exhaust and air box mods. Diet certainly helps in the handling department. Just wait untill you get rid of that battery weight :moon:

Mine has always pulled neck in neck with my buddys crf450r. I haven't tried since I put in my YZ cams and high compression piston but I can tell you it pulls alot harder then it used to and is still just as smooth.

I ran the 52 tooth prior but am running a 51 now with the increased pull.

I feel like yourself (I ride alot of really tight woods) that this is the best handling big 4 stroke I've ever ridden in the tight woods.

Yeah to me derestricting this bike includes jetting, AIS removal an exhaust and air box mods. Diet certainly helps in the handling department. Just wait untill you get rid of that battery weight :moon:

Mine has always pulled neck in neck with my buddys crf450r. I haven't tried since I put in my YZ cams and high compression piston but I can tell you it pulls alot harder then it used to and is still just as smooth.

I ran the 52 tooth prior but am running a 51 now with the increased pull.

I feel like yourself (I ride alot of really tight woods) that this is the best handling big 4 stroke I've ever ridden in the tight woods.

+1 on the yz cams. If you think the bike rips now, just wait to see what a set of yz cams will do for that motor...

+1 on the yz cams. If you think the bike rips now, just wait to see what a set of yz cams will do for that motor...

I know I have stated here a few times that I wanted to build this bike to be as close to an R version as possible. I wanted a lighter feeling and handling bike with scoot closer to a YZF but with the magic button and green sticker. But I have to say, I am not sure this bike really needs the YZ cams. I am fairly impressed with WR motor and for tight technical trail riding, I dont think the R cams are would be a benefit for this type of riding. The power delivery is next to perfect for my liking and for the type of riding I do. I will know better when I get to ride it in a more wide open area to compare. Which I may be doing some high desert riding this weekend.

I know I have stated here a few times that built this bike to be as close to an R version as possible. I wanted a lighter feeling and handling bike with scoot closer to a YZF but with the magic button and green sticker. But I have to say, I am not sure this bike really needs the YZ cams. I am fairly impressed with WR motor and for tight technical trail riding, I dont think the R cams are a benefit. The power delivery is next to perfect for my liking and the type of riding I do. I will know better when I get to ride it in a more wide open are. Which I may be doing some high desert riding this weekend.

If the power delivery is to your liking as it is, that's a good thing. One less thing to spend on. The good side to this is that later on if you decide you need a bit more pull, the option will be there. :moon:

If the power delivery is to your liking as it is, that's a good thing. One less thing to spend on. The good side to this is that later on if you decide you need a bit more pull, the option will be there. :moon:

Very good point and I agree 100%. Right now I am in new bike lala land. I really only have 31 miles of single track riding on it so far. I need more time on it to really give an accurate account of how I feel about the bike. But so far, I could not be happier. My Turntech 2.5amp battery just came in so I will be droppign 5lbs of high weight which I am excited about. Just waiting on my Tubliss to finish the diet. After that I will be weighting the bike.

Hey Red,

I appreciate the tips as well. Been looking for a resolution to the RH fork protector so thanks. Just got my Flatland drive eliminator and 07 YZ-F fork guard. Nice!

I had a plan (as you did) to start with suspension/handling then start in on the motor to gain some additional power. I've got a JE 13.5:1 piston and Hotcams sitting here (originally for my Supermoto bike) that were going to possibly find their way into the WR but to be honest, this bike rips with just the free mods, GYT-R AIS removal kit, JD jet kit and FMF Power Bomb/Ti power core combo with the 94dB insert. Don't really feel the need for more at the moment.

One option you might want to consider for the crank case breather: I bought a stock 08 YZ450F breather tube and routed it just like the YZ then plugged up the starter oil return and airbox with vacuum plugs from Pep Boys. I was then able to remove all of the additional plumbing that comes as standard on the WR (don't ride through streams too often so water ingestion not an issue). Really cleaned up the carb area.

One other thing you might want to consider is TechSpec grip pads. These allow you to grip the bike with your knees so much easier and are way more durable and asthetically pleasing than the Stompgrip pads. I sent them the pattern and am having them make up a custom set for the WR airbox. The YZ shroud grip pad will work on the WR shrouds. Will let you know when they are available if you're interested.

Where are you located? Nor Cal or So Cal?

Cheers, John

Glad it was of help. Yeah, I thought about buying the YZ breather and route like teh yz routes. I may do that. Either way, I dont think the way I have it now is going to be an issues but I plan on addressing it soon. It was nice to get rid of all that extra tubing it comes with stock.

I have never heard of TechSpec grip. I have always used Stomp. And riding my WR this last weekend was the first bike I have riden without Stomp Grip installed in about 6 years and I really noticed the grip difference. I need to get something installed quickly.

Here is a link to TechSpec's web site. Again this is for the YZ and the airbox is different. Should have some info around the 4th of Jan so if you can hold off I'd highly recommend it as these grip pads are way superior to Stompgrip pads. They look fantastic on the bike as well.

John

Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/mx_yamaha.html