jumping

I just sold my 2000 yz250 and strongly thinking 4 stroke. I have ridden one a little. How much different is the jumping on the 426? I liked the big thumper but didnt jump it. How does this thing take turns? It is a week spot of mine on a 2 stroke? Please help me decide on the blue beast. thanks

Kev,

Jumping a 4-stroke single is very different from a 2-stroke since the 4-stroke has pronounced engine braking when you close the throttle. It would be like hitting the rear brake if you jumped with the throttle closed. So, you can imagine that the front end would dive and you run a strong chance of endo-ing over the bars. You can use the engine braking to your advantage when entering a turn. Hold the throttle open just a hair longer than the 2-stroke and when you snap the throttle closed, kick it down a gear and let the engine slow you down in addition to using the front brake normally and applying the rear brake gingerly at first so that you don't lock up the rear wheel and stall the engine. Avoid slipping the clutch when exiting the corner or your clutch will quickly go away. Selecting the correct gear for exiting the turn is most important. A slow 180 degree turn will require 1st gear and maybe a little clutch slipping because the 426 is geared pretty high in 1st.Hope this helps.

I went to my 9th race on my 426 last night, and had a YZ250 before this one. There is definately a learning curve on this machine and I am just now really reaching the point to where I feel like I can handle this machine. As the previous post said the compression braking is the biggest thing to overcome but at this point I can jump this bike better than anything I have ever owned or ridden. The weight is a factor at first but even that is an advantage when you get used to it, especially on a rutted up track or in the whoops. Honestly though, this bike feels just as nimble on the jumps as my 250 did and I have even ridden them back-to-back a couple times. The one disadvantage to this bike is most noticable on real tight technical tracks. I usually get blown away by the 2strokers on these.

Mike

I absolutely love the way the 426's fly. I too was a 2 stoker for many years, but the 4 stoker has a learning curve and I think that you guys covered it with engine braking and a little more feel of the additional weight. But, I agree, I can hit jumps with my 426 so aggressively and still toss it around, flick it sideways, and change the attitude of it with a blip of the throttle. The four stokers are an advantage if you ask me. So, fly the friendly skies, flight #426 departing shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with all you jumping experts out there, can you shed a little light on some "how to jump basics"? I am new to the moto-x track and am obviously pretty slow. Note that I'm riding a WR, but with several mods (see below)so the bike should jump. ?

Right now I just try to keep centered on the bike, sort of in a squatted position. I gas it all the way up the jump, but let go of the gas just prior to take off. It seems to be pretty steady, but I'm not getting ANY distance.

Am I just going to slow? I'm hitting some of the small table tops in 3rd gear and it feels like I'm going fast enough to clear, but always land short and jar the snot out of myself.

About the only thing I know to do is: If the front wheel is too high, hit the rear brake. If the front tire is too low, hit the gas. How are you supposed to land? Front first, rear first?

Any advice is appreciated! :D

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket,....Still can't ride worth a s@#t.

Also, I've never ridden a 2 stroke on a track so I can't compare the difference...

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Twin Air filter,E-Series,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket,....Still can't ride worth a s@#t.

? Thanks daveyg!

I'm thinking I may go to the YZ timing with my WR to get a little more snap, but like I said earlier, I know that I'm the problem, not the bike. :D

How bout suspension?

------------------

Scott- I've found that repetition is the best way to learn. And start with small jumps, even smaller than you feel you're ready for. Personally I never use the brake tap since I started riding back in the cave days when this wasn't normal technique, and I got in the habit of muscling the bike around when I'm nose high. I do use the panic rev to drop the rear. Also which wheel touches down first depends on the landing area, and you will learn this through trial and error. Remember to start with easy stuff and progress as your skills improve. And there are other techniques to learn to get extra distance on jumps, like seated take-offs, but get a handle on the basics and get a good feel for your bike first.

Mike

Thanks for the tips fellas!

And don't worry, I won't hold any of you liable. ?

MikeOK, I may be already doing a "seated" takeoff. I try to stay squatted during the take off and sort of spring myself upward at the same time the bike is coming off the ground.. Is that right? Problem is that every once in a while, I spring a little too high and come off the pegs. At that point, I usually piss my pants and close my eyes! :D No, somehow my feet find the peegs, but it is certainly unnerving!

Now, I know you said "seated", NOT "squatted", so this may be totally different..?

------------------

Scott,

You should be seated like you are when your just putting through the pits, kind of slid back on the seat a bit, not too far up on the bike. Your body weight will compress the suspension into the face of the jump and that's how you get more lift. You sound like your doing it right, just watch the loft and keep practicing.

Daveyg ?

I've found that using the seated takeoff is good for keeping the rear end from kicking up when the takeoff of a jump has a lip on it. Being seated forces the rear shock to absorb the kick that tends to make the rear end kick up and sometimes cause an endo over the bars...or close to it. I also find it helpful to use this technique to control the attitude of the bike for how you want to land. For instance, if the jump is an easy double but with a steep incline on the downside of the landing, the seated jump will allow the rider to gently loop the bike forward so that the bike lands nearly parallel with the slope of the landing. The rider needs to have a good feel for jumping to master this. It's really difficult to decribe in words exactly what it feels like. Timing, throttle control, speed, gear selection, body positioning, body re-positioning etc....all come into play at the same time. There's no substitute for practice