Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TARKaw

Shutting the Bike Off Using the De-Compression?

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Took my YZ426 out today to find the kill button had stopped working. I used the de-compression lever to shut it off. Anyone see any problem using this method until I track down the electrical problem?

I was kind of wondering if it might make it hard to start or foul the plug? It seemed to start fine, but this was my first ride on it so I have no benchmark and it is also my first 4stroke so I am not too familiar with this de-compression stuff...

On the bright side - I love this bike, what an awesome machine! :cheers:

Being a 2stroker for 35 years, never thought I would say that about a 4stroke dirt bike :smirk: I am now a believer :moon:

We used to do that with a lot of the old thumpers back in the day, but I don't advise it on a YZF. The battering the lifter gets from this at the 1500-2000 RPM idle speed is a great deal different than what happens at cranking speeds, or even during a bump start. The lifter could be damaged by the practice.

Right by the top of the motor under the tank ther is a pile of wires .pull the tank and track the wires of the switch righ over the motor they meet and 9 times out of 10 it were the meat there they come unpluged .:moon: