2004 WR450F Front Brake Line Upgrade..

Hi all,

Just picked up a mint 04 wr450f, low kays, full akrapovic titanium system, protapers, diamond headlight bla bla bla. Previously i had a 05 wr450f with the CR style routed brake line and the front brake was really nice. The front brake on my 04 is real spongy - my dads 04 wr250f was the same.

Whats the easiest and cheapest way to get feel and power back into the front brake? New line re-routed?

Cheers

I suggest you first do a fluid change. Not sure why you would think a rubber line is a problem off road. I rarely (read that never) am on the front brake so hard that there has ever been a issue with OEM parts.

Even with a SS line, the caliper has so much flex in it the improvement the line provides is negligible. If the line had to be replaced, then I'd opt for the SS one. Otherwise, it is just jewelery and that money should of been spent of getting the suspension just right.,

If you were running a super moto, then a brake line and caliper could be called for.

Nothing to do with routing. A rubber brake line is a rubber brake line. Routing has to do more with preventing another riders boot or a errant tree limb from snagging a line. Over time, the reality of some of these 'high brake lines' has been deemed pointless (too much line) and a return to a traditional route seems to be happening.

Brake 'feel' is a factor of several things.

Brake lever length, distance from the bars and stiffness

Caliper Stiffness

Brake line rgidity (rubber Vs. Stainless Steel braid)

Length of brake line (a shorter path is better, no mattter the line material)

Master cylinder design

Master cylinder ratio (piston diameter to caliper piston size)

Nothing to do with routing. A rubber brake line is a rubber brake line. Routing has to do more with preventing another riders boot or a errant tree limb from snagging a line. Over time, the reality of some of these 'high brake lines' has been deemed pointless (too much line) and a return to a traditional route seems to be happening.

Brake 'feel' is a factor of several things.

Brake lever length, distance from the bars and stiffness

Caliper Stiffness

Brake line rgidity (rubber Vs. Stainless Steel braid)

Master cylinder design

Master cylinder ratio (piston diameter to caliper piston size)

hmm ok so why was the 05 front brake much better than the 04's.

- the CR routing would be shorter yes, so this would be the reason why?

• Like 1

It is possible, the different brake line length is the difference but to be sure you must check:

Is the caliper identical?

Brake pads identical?

Brake rotors the same diameter and in the same condition?

Is the master cylinder identical?

Confirm via valid part numbers and/or measurments.

If they are identical and the only actual differenece is the line, assuming both bikes have fresh brake fluid and are properly bled, then the line would be the only difference. Next is to consider the lines themselves. Are they identical materials? If so, the only actual difference is the line length. As soon as you assume things, you will have inaccurate results.

It could be a number of different reasons...

- already mentioned is the fluid can be burnt, contaminated, etc....

- Any kind of deflection in the rotor, even the slightest can cause this despite the floating caliper.

- Bleeding is important and most times I have found the only truly effective way to do it is with a vacuum bleeder. Bleeding off at the upper banjo bolt helps too.

That brake has never been the cats meow but it works well enuf:thumbsup:

yer cheers guys, the only reason im harping on about the brake line as my dads 04 250f was the same poor (in comparison to 05) brake feel. We bled that one and no change. Anyway ill bleed it and go from there.

oh cant measure anything off the 05 cos thats whats left of it there...

IMG_0279.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...