Faulty tire? See photo

This is a relatively new Maxxis SI front that I put on my 2002 YZ426 a couple month ago. I check the pressure regularly and I'm positive that it has never dipped below 11psi and only ridden at the track. Has anybody had similar wear/failures before? With the cost of new tires, I'm wondering if I should pursue a warranty replacement (unless it's my fault).

tirephoto.jpg

how many rides?

the maxxis si is a soft terrain tire.. so depending on how many rides and where u were riding this could be normal..

ive done this to a few dunlops myself..

A couple of months ago ? With a soft rear I can do this in a couple of days on my 450.

It doesn't look like you 'chunked' any knobs, so I'd at least try to get some warranty satisfaction out of it. My advice; buy Dunlop next time!:banghead:

The SI is a soft terrain tire, and ST tires will tear knobs if ridden in rocky or hard pack soils. The Maxxis SI is not one of the toughest ST's available, anyway.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll take advantage of the Dunlop 756 closeouts that are still around.

756 will wear out quickly I hate those tires. . .good riddance.

756 will wear out quickly I hate those tires. . .good riddance.

I get a year out of the fronts, two in a season for the rears. That's not bad.

Did you see the OP's knobs breaking off?hmm.gif

Ya I saw the knob breaking off. I ride in intermediate terrain and I have 5 rides(10hours) on the stock 756 on my new 08 and I am beyond ready to take it off. Do you keep you tires on for a long time after the square edge is gone?

I had one of the first Michelin Starcross tires do that and it turned out to be caused by a batch of tires getting improper curing from the factory. The Michelin guy said the temperature they were cured at was off and that caused the problem. They gave me replacement tires and it never happend again. It wouldn't suprise me if Maxxis lets a few bad batches out from time to time.

I get a year out of the fronts, two in a season for the rears. That's not bad.

Did you see the OP's knobs breaking off?hmm.gif

Which is it?

• You ride very slowly
  • You ride exclusively is soil consisting of shredded foam and Cool Whip
  • You live where the season is 41 days long
  • You don't get out a lot

In SoCal, I can't make a 756 front last more than 6 months (they loose their edge even faster than that), and I'm lucky to get 4 rides out of a rear.

I really couldve changed out my 756 rear after the first ride it wore that quickly.

I dont nearly ride as much as i wish i could, but for the weekends i do ride I get about a year out of tires or 35 hours total on topsoil/loam(on a 250f). The rear gets flipped. I ran 756 front and MH3 rears, they last a while. I'm in limbo now, I want a new combo this year for the 450, but cant decide either.

I dont nearly ride as much as i wish i could, but for the weekends i do ride I get about a year out of tires or 35 hours total on topsoil/loam(on a 250f). The rear gets flipped. I ran 756 front and MH3 rears, they last a while. I'm in limbo now, I want a new combo this year for the 450, but cant decide either.

Wow, I couldnt imagine getting that kind of life out of rubber. My dad likes to make fun of me though because him and all of his riding buddies would run tires until they looked like street tires. Go figure. I ride a mix of conditions from silt/sand to loose shale and my current pick for the rear is the Kenda "Washougal" in the 120-90 size. I have a "Budds Creek" on the front thats due to come off because I dont find it very good. I've had good luck with the Michelin M-12 fronts before and may try that on the front next. Just takes time to find a good combination. I will never touch a Bridgestone again though.

Motoz tires are supposed to be pretty good. Ride a TT.com member sells them on his website I believe-www.motosportz.com.

i have had good success with Dunlop 952 and priced OK

I've found the Maxxis SI holds up pretty well, not as well as the IT, but then again the SI is made for soft terrain. I've run a lot of them and have never had the knobs rip like that, I've only had them wear down. I'd say you either were running too much pressure, or possibly there was a defect with that tire. However, since you said you've been running it for a few months, I doubt you will see any sort of warranty out of it. I've never had a 756 last more than an hour or two on the back of a bike, one of the fastest wearing tires made. I'd suggest a Michelin MH3 or a Maxxis IT if you want a tire that will last a while. I gave up on dunlop tires years ago, I've always been disappointed in them every time I use one. The only dunlops I've found that worked half way decent wear out in one ride. The only dunlops I use now are ones I get for free. I haven't tried a 952, but I won one at the last race I did, so I will have to try that and see how it works.

Edited by KJ790

KJ, Try an MX51 rear. I think you'll be impressed. Traction is excellent, and the wear is among the best I've ever used. Here's one with about 200 desert race miles on it, and another 50 or so desert/high desert rec miles:

IMG_1206.jpg?t=1260687056

That's pretty impressive for as much use as you've described. Still has relatively sharp edges.

....I ride in intermediate terrain and I have 5 rides(10hours) on the stock 756 on my new 08 and I am beyond ready to take it off. Do you keep you tires on for a long time after the square edge is gone?

I ride on well-groomed motocross tracks for the most part, and occasionally at the local state park which is very rocky. I'm not a 'pro' and don't get tires for free. By economic necessity, my tires' knobs are somewhat rounded before I replace them, but they are not 'slam' worn out!