2010 YZ450F Weight Issue

Light speed also has a one piece skid plate with case gaurds available. I've seen it advertised in the mags recently and they have it in stock even though it doesn't show up on the website.

The CRF is lighter due to a smaller frame and parts that are made as light as possible. MXA has had two or more side case covers crack. I don't think that it's as durable as the '08 was.

Yea I totally agree I saw in the first impressions of the YZ that everyone was saying the ergos were spacious and tall riders felt at home, on the other hand Honda has decided to small up their bikes and you see what it did to Kevin Windham.

Anyone make a skid plate for it yet? It sure looks like it needs one. I'm going to start buying the accessories now since mine wont be here till March.

My buddy down at the shop said it pretty much looks like late december for it will arrive but he says it will probably be after the 1st of the year.

My buddy down at the shop said it pretty much looks like late december for it will arrive but he says it will probably be after the 1st of the year.

Man I feel bad for you guys, I sat on one on the showroom floor on Friday. Just sitting there, waiting for someone to buy it... blue model.

Man I feel bad for you guys, I sat on one on the showroom floor on Friday. Just sitting there, waiting for someone to buy it... blue model.

Thats the way it goes. Over here where I live its nothing but woods and dirtroads (way back in the sticks)

The time it takes something to get here to us its already outdated.

On their website Yamaha's claimed "wet weight" for the 2010 is 245 lbs.

Honda's claimed curb weight* on their 09 CRF450R is 234.8 lbs.

*"Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride"

Links:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/209/0/specs.aspx

http://www.vitalmx.com/features/First-Look-2009-Honda-CRF450R,2866

Wow that is pretty staggering but honda doesnt have a bi lateral frame and fi system in the front!:banghead:

You need to read the available information about the yz. go to mxa, dirtbike, dirtrider, cyclenews, etc. there are many first impressions on this bike and more and more people are getting them everyday. One of the things that is almost universally mentioned is that the bike feels a lot lighter than it is when in motion. put simply it feels like it weighs 245 when you're lifting it on and off the stand but it feels much lighter when riding. if you are serious about buying this (or anything) you should learn as much about it as possible so you can make an informed decision. 245 lbs is the wet weight.

someone made a blooper,cant remember where i was reading it but in one site or mag had rote that dry was 245lbs, but ya thats realy the wet weight

Curb weight is often with a half tank of fuel which is approx 4 lbs.

Additionally things with greater longevity (Yamaha's) usually weight a bit more than things that break or need repair often (Honda's):cheers:

:banghead:

someone made a blooper,cant remember where i was reading it but in one site or mag had rote that dry was 245lbs, but ya thats realy the wet weight

That was transworld mx magazine I just read that review!:banghead:

RMZ is way better bike than new yami,and yami is really ugly too:D

yup, more weight is not the best for a mx bike, i gotta crf250r and i got the total weight below 199lbs (which is good)

RMZ is way better bike than new yami,and yami is really ugly too:D

ah thanks otoman, I finally know why the weight is 245lbs ....thanks :banghead:

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but when you add that much gravity to the center of a bike it's going to weigh more. :banghead:

I may be too dumb to comprehend but can you explain :cheers:

I may be too dumb to comprehend but can you explain :banghead:

Um....it was a joke:smirk:

Wet the RMZ and KXF are heavier. The Honda is something like 2 or 3 lbs lighter wet.

Factually, in the same wet condition the FI Yamaha is 10+ lbs heavier than the FI Honda. Whether that is an "issue" as the OP asks is probably up to the rider/owner. However, you can be sure that the '11 Yamaha will be lighter than the '10 entry but it will be years before it drops 10+ lbs.

I like Yamaha (own two) and Honda (own two as well) so no real bias. I'm rather new to 4-strokes though and definitely notice the additional weight compared to my YZ250 but the traction advantage is huge!

Good luck.

...the traction advantage is huge!

Thumpers have always been like that, and it isn't weight that does it. Back in the day, the British 500cc singles were actually lighter than the 500 and 600cc twins that often ran against them (actually, the 500 Triumph twin was pretty light), but the thumpers always had an advantage on sketchy traction. It has to do with all the time between power pulses.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but when you add that much gravity to the center of a bike it's going to weigh more. :banghead:

Joke, humor, dry humor or whatever the CG transfer seems to make the bike weight more for sure....most of us do not have a scale, we only have our brain as a indicator based on how hard it is to pick up the damn bike.

I have a 09 450 Berg (damn nice bike, but no motocross bike for damn sure) and it is a PIG to pick up and put on the stand. Know why.....ha-ha when that much weight (CG) is moved to the middle of the bike the bias changes to the rear...yikes what %? All I know is that it is harder to put on the stand.

There is an easy and reasonably cheap fix for this........it is a lift stand, now you do not need to be reminded how the relocation of the CG made the bike feel heavier, just ride

:ride::p:thumbsup::cheers::worthy:

The CG was not relocated. The overall mass was more centralized. This did not cause the bike to feel heavier, that was the 5 or 10 or whatever extra pounds that did that. What's important is how it feels underway.