If You Could Build Your Own Adventure Bike?

On the bike, the original question is about a really long trip by yourself - I decided to pretend that cost was not an object. If it is, I like the Kawi and Honda 650 singles a lot too - especially as they are more fixable on the trail. BMW ECU goes out in the Andes? Game over, have a nice walk - hence all the electronics and the "get-me-out" insurance.

Could be a solo trip or with a buddy or two. But you have to be prepared for the fact that sometimes riding buddies get separated, or sometimes split up.

I haven't heard anything specific about multiple failures on BMW ECU's. But remember .... ALL bikes have ECU's, although on Japanese stuff an ECU failure is quite rare.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:banghead::cheers::worthy::foul:

Surfboard rack - awesome. Where did you buy it? Or did you make it - and how? Maybe easier to bring a short-board though!!! A fat fish would still let you enjoy some smaller surf, and if the IPA truck is following that would make a great day. Motorcycle ride, surfing, a few cold draft beers, I can think of at least one more final activity that would make for a perfect day...:foul:

I got the rack from Witts Carlsbad Pipeline, here in Carlsbad. You can get them online from Carver. I had a big board on this trip because the forcast was for double overhead+ good conditions. I surfed, a shallow rock reef break, just past Rosarito. Stayed at a hotel Roberts, on the beach, by a river mouth, 8 guys out, :ride: You can get from Rosarito- Carlsbad in less than 2 hours, because on a bike you split lanes all the way to the poles, at the border.:moon:

palaairresort6-14-09023.jpg

What Would It Be and how would you configure it? :cheers: Would you buy new and modify? Buy used and do the minimum. Buy a bike already set up by a pro? Join a Tour? :banghead:

I don't mean a dual sport bike set up for weekend trips. (although this could be a good starting point) I mean an Adventure travel bike for months of extended travel that can handle off road riding OK but can also cruise all day at 70 mph + or -. You would need to carry 75 lbs. of gear on board and the bike would have to last 30,000 miles riding bad roads, running on low octane gas and riding on 3rd world roads/tracks with minimal maintenance and no breakdowns or rebuilds along the way. Possible?

I'd build a bike out of used parts. I'd use a lightweight mid-sized twin motor, like out of the Ninja or GS500F. Oil cooling and screw & locknut valve adjusters would be nice. I'd use fully-adjustable long-travel suspension like from a KTM. I'd use a sturdy steel frame from something like a DR650, but hopefully be able to find something with heavier-wall tubing and a rock-solid subframe. 'Might have to build a custom frame. Luggage would be lockable soft panniers on back, a tankbag, and tank panniers. Parts, tent, and sleeping bag could be strapped on top of the tailrack. I'd run identical-size tires (probably 17-18" DS) front and rear, a small screen, big plastic tank, narrow-to-wide DS seat, and folding touring pegs. I'd try to keep the weight between 300-400lb and the range above 300 miles.

This sounds a bit like the bike built by the brothers in Colorado who post on A D V. They built a custom off road twin using the Ninja 500 motor. Nice bike ... and you can buy it! I think they wanted somewhere around $15,000 for it? Maybe you can do it for less?

As I'm getting older ... and hopefully wiser ... I'm leaning more and more towards the style of World Class Adventure Motorcyclist Greg Frazier. After five times around the world Frazier has learned a few things. Check out some of his articles, very entertaining and full of great information for anyone even thinking about going traveling:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/284/5051/Motorcycle-Article/Dr--Frazier-AT-Motorcycles---Size-Matters.aspx

Read ALL his articles on Adventure Touring here:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/15/1/Motorcycle-Article-Author/Dr-Gregory-Frazier.aspx

I think Frazier and I think alike. When I toured Europe starting in 2001, I looked into shipping my bike over. Ridiculous money.:banghead: I looked into renting. Expensive with very limited bike choices. :cheers:

Solution? I bought a nice used, two year old Triumph Tiger and spent the next three years doing Summer tours all over the EU. It was cheap then. Left the bike in storage with friends in France, came over every Summer and did five or six weeks on the bike. Sold it and lost $1000 over what I paid. 16 weeks riding time, 22,000 miles. Works out pretty cheap if you do the math on a per day basis.

Renting

After finishing up jobs in Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand I sent my work equipment home and rented bikes locally. I only rode Thailand and Cambodia. The rented bikes were 125's. In Thailand you can rent a nice new (made in Thailand) dual sported CR125 two stroke. Auto Oil injection, awesome little bike. I had a water proof duffle and decent boots.

I explored the entire North of Thailand, Golden Triangle area. Lots of off road. In Cambodia I had some notes on places to see but could not get near Angkor Wat due to mines. You can rent little Honda 90's or 150's four strokes among other bikes. I've been back twice to the region. Great riding and not expensive.

I got the rack from Witts Carlsbad Pipeline, here in Carlsbad.

Thanks for the info. That's a good shop - will see if the rack mounts on BMW or Husky better (Husky is not a great freeway ride...). I live in Carlsbad too. Haven't been to MX in a while.

Back to the long-range bike question. San Diego would be a great place to start as Mexico is less than an hour away. I'm getting tempted now that I see the surfboard rack concept. I restate my F800GS preference and add a surfboard rack!!!

Nobody has mentioned a Husqvarna TE610 in this thread yet. That seems like a good option, would weigh less and be a little more performance oriented than some of the other bikes mentioned - but parts seems like a possible problem (hopefully BMW ownership will take care of that).

clyno.jpg

LOL. I dont think you would have to worry about people with road rage on that thing. Also you would never have to stop for food since you can just shoot whatever is standing beside of the road lol. Might need some suspension updates though!!

XR650R, HO stator dual hi/lo HID lights, 6gal tank, fluidyne rads w/twin fans, tunes suspension, titanium subframe and luggage rack, and of course the stock seat just cause no one else likes it.:banghead:

I don't think the XRR sub frame could take 75# of luggage plus rider, but maybe a custom frame with the R's motor and suspenion would do?

I don't think the XRR sub frame could take 75# of luggage plus rider, but maybe a custom frame with the R's motor and suspenion would do?

Probably would take some custom reinforcement. But I've seen well loaded up XR650R's doing it out there, so I know it can be done. Also, many guys can get away with less than 75 lbs. I tossed out that number as a starting point. On my DR I normally carry about 65 lbs. max.

Well set up XR's not only use pannier bags but tank panniers as well. Some also use a fairing/headlight bag. Also the rider can wear a small back pack. Additionally, many equip the bike with a tool box under the skid plate and mount a water or fuel canister somewhere down low. All this means less weight for the rear panniers so less sub frame stress.

A strong sub frame .... and super strong frame in general ... is one reason I have stayed with the DR650. I've owned a KLR, an XR650L, XR600 Honda and an old XL600 Honda. ALL had bent, cracked or broken sub frame issues caused by wash board roads and whoops ... except the KLR which was a test bike. But you can read many many stories about broken KLR subframes and main frames.

I've never heard of ONE DR650 with a broken frame or sub frame.

Really good design and a bike that is much easier to work on than the KLR.

I've never heard of ONE DR650 with a broken frame or sub frame.

Really good design and a bike that is much easier to work on than the KLR.

I've read of a few Aussies that have broken their frames...they've broken just above the swingarm pivot.

But I'm not concerned...I'm not likely to treat my DR in such a manner for that ever to happen. The DR is well-nigh perfect.

I have a fantasy bike in my mind that no one makes, however. It would be built around a 550cc air-cooled 90-degree V-twin mounted transversely in the frame with a long shaft drive, an eight-gallon tank, with spoked 21- and 18-inch wheels. That's a bike that would be better than my DR.

klay in your dream bike you say v-twin transversly mounted?? like a motoguzzi?? if you used that design i would say it would need a very heavy counter balancing system like the guzzi or bmw has and that adds alot of weight. without the CW it would really have a funny torque rotational feel.

jeff thats a nice project bike, unfortunately not enough of those imported here to the usa.

journeyman.. that duc has alot of cool possibilities, it could sure use some engine, exhaust, swingarm, and chain/ sprocket protection tho. could be a nice platform to start with. nice power to weight ratio and aircooled for those concerned with radiators.

has anybody tried a buell ulysses?? i would like to see it with a 21" front wheel and a bit more travel, but that might make a decent platform for a true adv bike

Buell would work great on hard packed dirt roads. True ADv bike-no. 1200cc is always going to be too heavy no matter how it's packaged. add some luggage and OUCH!

I'd like one for a street bike even though. When i rode one dealers wouldn't let one go for under $11,000. Bet they're much cheaper now. Do you know Buell is shut down?

Great to see the wheels are still turning out there! :moon:

Transalp:

Long a favorite adventure bike among world travelers, and one with tons of potential to be made even better. Great project! They are a bit expensive in the USA but cheaper and very plentiful in EU. (especially France and Germany) But if buying in the EU, I'd sooner buy an Africa Twin instead. Both would need lots of work to match a 650 Vstrom.

Transverse Twins?

Don't forget the Honda GL 500/650. This bike is still common and very cheap in various versions. (Silverwing et al) Super reliable motor. Problem is, very heavy and not off road oriented and now 30 year old technology ?

If one could transplant the motor into something ... could be good? But that is a LOT of work. I'd rather be riding than fabricating/constructing. The Guzzi Monza 500cc motors were OK but not all that reliable and low on power vs. weight.

IMHO, hard to beat a single for a travel bike. Having gone round and round on this I keep coming back to plain old 650 class dual sports from Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. Husky, BMW and KTM are also in there but I still trust Japanese bikes more and the buy in is Far Less! $$$:cheers:

Buell

I really wish Erik Buell had built a more off road oriented Adventure bike .... something beyond the Ulysses. I've ridden and written a lot about the Buell bikes.

I like them a lot but not so much for a travel/adventure bike. But the Uly could do most all of it save very nasty rocky tracks, sand and mud.

But overall, I'd have to agree that 1200cc's is more than you'll ever need doing adventure travel ... if that travel is to include off road, sand, rocks, mud and other obstacles.

A loaded up travel bike can be very hard to handle in adverse conditions.

Check out the thread over on DR's (Suzuki forum) by two Brit women touring OZ. Another big thumps up for the DR650!

lilbit no i hadnt heard buell is going away... they still are offering 2010 models. i would agree with you and 54321 on the weight factor but it claims 425 lbs and 108 hp and the bmw gs1200 adv r is 490lbs and 110 hp and alot of people true adv tour the beemers. i would like to see as much stuff shaved off the ulys and 21" front tire and more dirt worthy suspension and then you might be able to do a bit more rough terrain stuff, but the bike would never be a tight single track rocky terrain bike but that is what my 530 is for. im kinda thinking about an adv tourer for more open and hiway/ fire road, jeep trail stuff.

New and used Buell motorcycles will be around for sale at HD dealers for a while yet. Full dealer support/parts will carry on for years to come. But Buell are done manufacturing. Great deals out there now.

MCN magazine (who actually weigh bikes and do real Dyno runs) quote the '08 Buell Ulysses at: 84 RWHP, wet weight at : 506 lbs.

The '08 R1200GS lists at 94 RWHP (up from 80 HP on earlier 12GS)

Wet weight on GS is: 536 lbs. For Adventure model, add about 35 lbs.

So, figure around 570 lbs. Wet. The ADV model has same HP and goes for about $2500 more than standard R12GS. (about $17K)

I rode the Ulysses on dirt roads. It did fine actually. Surprised me with that 17" front tire. The Buell is a hoot to ride! I didn't hammer it in the dirt .... it was a dealer demo. The bike is a lot tougher than it looks. Biggest worry would be punching a hole in the frame (holds fuel) or swingarm (holds oil).

They make guards for both.

I'd sooner take the Buell to S. America than the BMW R12. Too many bad issues with BMW R1200GS. The Buell Ulysses is relatively simple and quite reliable.

The F800GS BMW is a better Travel/Adventure bike than the R12GS, IMHO. $13K out the door, 73 HP, 490 lbs. Reliable but does not crash well. Been there, seen it. Ugly. Still, not a bad choice, very popular these days.

KTM Adventure is a good choice too, maybe best of all in the big adventure bike class.

KTM 990: $14,400 plus tax/fees, 85 RWHP, Wet Weight: 520 lbs.

Fast, fun, self destructs in crash. Best to buy a used one for around $10K.

How did the Uly feel offroad in turns? On pavement it falls into corners just like the sport bikes only not near as bad. It got tiring having to hold it up pushing on the bars through the whole corner. I'd think if the front tire tucked even a little you'd be on the ground in dirt.

Even with the goofy handling i'd be checking around for firesales if i wasn't poor.