HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
V8Pinto

Winter Maintenance

5 posts in this topic

I am getting my YZ400F ready for cold weather riding after blasting around the Desert all summer. I plan to go over the bike front to back and just make sure everything is up to snuff. Does the engine require anything other than an oil/filter and a valve lash check? Cam chain or anything else require checking? I just want to give it a real good once-over.

Be sure you are using a temperature-appropriate grade of oil.

When was the last cam chain you installed in it?

I have never changed the cam chain and I've owned it probably 3yrs. It's interesting you mentioned the cam chain. I was just searching the forum for "engine noise" because I hear lots of noise when it's cranked up.

Be sure you are using a temperature-appropriate grade of oil.

Is there any special oil for colder riding? 10W-50, 15W-40 or similar is what I've used last 2 years in winter at didn't have any problems...

There's a temp chart in the manual. 15-20w-* oils are good down to 5℃ (40℉), while 10w-* oils are OK down to -10℃ (14℉). Colder than that you should be running a 5w or 0w oil. You certainly don't need a *w-50 wt when the weather is cooler than 80 degrees.