YZ426- replace rings after 5 races?

Hello group, I have (another) question for you. The book says to replace the rings after 5 races. I've owned mine for about 3 months now and after a 3-day race thing here in OK I realized I now have 7 races on this thing. I know the book is usually overprotective but I thought I'd ask your opinions. I was hoping to get through the fall moto's and do the rings this winter but that may put 10-12 races on it before I got it done. I change the oil after every race and follow the book schedule on everything alse for the most part, but this seems excessive to me. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Mike

I ride my 400 twice a week since 3/99 and I've never even changed the spark plug let alone rings. Still runs like new, doesn't use a drop of oil.

------------------

MotoGreg - The voice of absurdity

'99 WR400 - 'Cause thumpers rule and two-strokes drool!

'92 GSXR 7/11 (But I wanna get a dope 916)

I might let you visit my photo album for $3 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - DANGER LURKS WITHIN

Your book must have a type-o in it. You might want to change the rings after 5 years, not 5 races. :)

Erik

Hope not or mine is ready for the junk pile!!

That cant be right.

Norman K.

Beaumont Tx

Am I the only one who reads the book? Look at yours, it's no typo.

Mike

You can replace the rings if you want to or you can continue to ride. There are some signs that would indicate a need to replace the rings. Loss of compression, exhaust smoke,or some other indication that there is a need for repair.... There must be some reason other than mabee it should be done after a certain length of time or wear. If you made a living riding the bike, there would be every reason to stay on the recommended program of replacement.However, for the average joe, ride onward thru the fog.

Am I the only one who reads the book?

No, we all read it. Only the rest of us just kind of chuckled when we saw that part.

------------------

The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg

On two wheels (or 3) since 1970

'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)

'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!

Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

Originally posted by MotoGreg:

I ride my 400 twice a week since 3/99 and I've never even changed the spark plug let alone rings. Still runs like new, doesn't use a drop of oil.

Do you have two different foto albums? One is three bucks and the other is 75.