Ring installation need help!

Well I went riding today and after I warmed the bike up I checked the oil and it was milky. I took the radiator cap off and it was a little low, so I guess the head gasket still isn't sealing. I plan on buying a new one and torquing the head right the first time. The head gasket is my problem since I didn't torque the gead correctly the first time right?

Well I went riding today and after I warmed the bike up I checked the oil and it was milky. I took the radiator cap off and it was a little low, so I guess the head gasket still isn't sealing. I plan on buying a new one and torquing the head right the first time. The head gasket is my problem since I didn't torque the gead correctly the first time right?

Well I guess all is not well. Yeah I would go back after the headgasket, replace and torque as specified. Hope you didn't run it too long like that.

... I guess the head gasket still isn't sealing. I plan on buying a new one and torquing the head right the first time. The head gasket is my problem since I didn't torque the gead correctly the first time right?
Replace the base gasket too. There's a water passage at that joint, and there's no sense doing this 3 times.
Replace the base gasket too. There's a water passage at that joint, and there's no sense doing this 3 times.

Ok, I will. I just hate getting the rings to fit through the cylinder, it was a pain the first time. And no I did not run the bike more than 5 minutes with the bad head gasket.

not sure if you used one but single ring compressor will make life easier, local parts store may even have one

TA118.jpg

Ok, I will. I just hate getting the rings to fit through the cylinder, it was a pain the first time. And no I did not run the bike more than 5 minutes with the bad head gasket.

Try a 250f sometime..... You think you were irritated with the 450.....:banghead:

And yes the ring comressor above is great if you want to spend the money, but not needed unless you plan to do a buch or just want to take a few more minutes putting it together...

Try a 250f sometime..... You think you were irritated with the 450.....:banghead:

And yes the ring comressor above is great if you want to spend the money, but not needed unless you plan to do a buch or just want to take a few more minutes putting it together...

I found it was easier to put the piston and rings on the cylinder first, then lower them to the crank and slide the wrist pin through. I am going to buy some more circlips so I can do this when I change the gaskets.

Another thing that simplifies things for those who would rather install the cylinder over the piston with the piston in place is to slip two pieces of wood or similar under the piston skirt to support it solidly, rather than have it free to rock around.