Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WR450FGreg

Rebuilding your own WR450F rear shock

4 posts in this topic

Guys,

I just completed a strip/rebuild of my '08 WR450F rear shock, fitting a Gold Valve along the way.

I've never rebuilt a shock before and was surprised at just how easy it was using basic workshop tools.

I downloaded Smart Performance's instructions: http://smartperformanceinc.com/YZWRSHOCKREBUILD.htm

The only part I couldn't do was the nitrogen re-charge. I went down to my local tyre service and they charged it up for me for free!

(.....Yes, I realise that to do it properly I should have removed all the air first, or filled/emptied it a few times to purge the air, but at my riding level I'm not too concerned about that!)

Why this posting? Just to let everyone know that a "mortal" CAN rebuild a shock. It's not a dark-art. Why not consider giving it a shot yourself next time?

Greg

1 person likes this

Cool...

I pay someone not because I can't do it myself, but rather...they have a shock dyno and will take the time to be sure it's been revalved properly for my weight, riding style and spring rate. May not sound like a big deal, but when you ride a bike that has been setup for *you* there is a difference!

Guys,

I just completed a strip/rebuild of my '08 WR450F rear shock, fitting a Gold Valve along the way.

I've never rebuilt a shock before and was surprised at just how easy it was using basic workshop tools.

I downloaded Smart Performance's instructions: http://smartperformanceinc.com/YZWRSHOCKREBUILD.htm

The only part I couldn't do was the nitrogen re-charge. I went down to my local tyre service and they charged it up for me for free!

(.....Yes, I realise that to do it properly I should have removed all the air first, or filled/emptied it a few times to purge the air, but at my riding level I'm not too concerned about that!)

Why this posting? Just to let everyone know that a "mortal" CAN rebuild a shock. It's not a dark-art. Why not consider giving it a shot yourself next time?

Greg

I think you might be assuming that doing the rebuild 85% correct will surely yield 85% of top performance. Nope. Leaving air in the shock will ruin the damping soon as it reaches cavitation. When the shock gets hot, you may have only 15% performance.

I think you might be assuming that doing the rebuild 85% correct will surely yield 85% of top performance. Nope. Leaving air in the shock will ruin the damping soon as it reaches cavitation. When the shock gets hot, you may have only 15% performance.

Krannie,

I think you may have mis-read my post. That combined with me not explaining myself correctly!

The tyre service sell nitrogen, I had it gassed up with nitrogen to 125psi.

The air I'm talking about is the stuff left in the reservoir at normal atmospheric pressure prior to the re-gas.

It actually got the better of me this afternoon and I took it in to my local dirt bike shop to be purged properly and gassed to 145psi! :excuseme:

Greg