Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheHarp

Chain chewed through swingarm pivot

13 posts in this topic

I have my bike (08 YZ450) torn down to replace the bearings. I found that the chain has chewed through the chain slider and through the swingarm pivot just outside the bearing. :excuseme:

I can think of three options:

1) do nothing (replace bearing as I was planning)

2) have a shop weld it up

3) replace the swingarm

Thoughts?

Wow...is this just a matter of a ton of hours on the bike and you forgot to keep a good slider on there or are you running a 12t front sprocket?

'07-'08 are the same PN. '06 should be interchangeable.

Thanks....same as the WR/YZ 250/450?

Wow...is this just a matter of a ton of hours on the bike and you forgot to keep a good slider on there or are you running a 12t front sprocket?

I'm new to dirt bikes, wasn't paying attention to the slider wear.

More likely a 44t rear, judging by the avatar.

Good eye.

The '07-'08 WR450 is the same, also, but none of the other alternatives you mentioned will work.

The '07-'08 WR450 is the same, also, but none of the other alternatives you mentioned will work.

OK...thanks. :excuseme:

Why can't a shop weld it up? If it was a structural issue, it would have failed by now (I'm guessing). :excuseme:

Why can't a shop weld it up? If it was a structural issue, it would have failed by now (I'm guessing). :excuseme:

Since he didn't show me what it looks like, I can't evaluate that. :bonk:

Probably what I would do, unless the required machine work was too expensive.

Since he didn't show me what it looks like, I can't evaluate that. :excuseme:

Probably what I would do, unless the required machine work was too expensive.

I don't have a picture of it. I'm sure it could be welded up, but if I can pick up a good used swingarm off of ebay, that would be the shorter/simpler path for me.

BTW, the part number for the swingarm listed in the microfiche for the 08 250F and 450f is the same. This makes me think I have a fairly good chance of finding one.

06-08 250F and 450F swingarms are the same other than the chain guide mount (you would have to use an 06 chain guide on the 06 swingarm). I'm guessing it was worn on the bottom front of the swingarm pivot?

06-08 250F and 450F swingarms are the same other than the chain guide mount (you would have to use an 06 chain guide on the 06 swingarm). I'm guessing it was worn on the bottom front of the swingarm pivot?

Yep...didn't notice until I had the whole thing torn down. Thanks for the additional info.