Sta-bil help with keeping pilot jet clean?

Does anybody know if Sta-bil gas additive helps with keeping the pilot jet clean??

Seems like around this area with the Ethanol added to the fuel, I hear of more bikes that get clogged jets, if they sit for more than two weeks. Will Sta-bil help?, or is it better to run the carb dry after each use?

thanx

:excuseme:

If the bike is going to sit for awhile any fuel stabalizer will help, but I have heard bad things about sta-bil not working very well. I personally and have heard of others using a product called seafoam that works very well keeping gas fresh and carbs clean. I used to use seafoam in my snowmobile every spring and it would always fire right up in the winter. I also use it to clean out my car fuel systems and the like, very good product.

Absolutely, run the bowl dry. Stabil only prolongs the problem, it does not eliminate it, and it lowers the octane of the gas.

You have to drain the bowl. "Running" it dry will just drop the needle and kill the engine thus still leaving the bowl partially full still keeping the pilot in fuel.

From my own experience in the boating industry, star tron works pretty good. You just have to keep using it.

Thanx guys for the replies...I picked up some Seafoam on the way home, and I'll give that a try.

Also, I could be wrong, but I believe someone posted that if you leave a FCR carb empty for a long time, that the seals/gaskets dry out, and when you do add fuel again, the carb will leak fuel like a sieve. Any truth to this??

Thanx guys for the replies...I picked up some Seafoam on the way home, and I'll give that a try.

Also, I could be wrong, but I believe someone posted that if you leave a FCR carb empty for a long time, that the seals/gaskets dry out, and when you do add fuel again, the carb will leak fuel like a sieve. Any truth to this??

That will happen to any carb once it has had fuel in it. The new alcohol blends at the pump seem to make drying out the rubber parts worse sooner, but leaving the new-blend fuel sit in the bowl clearly gunks up the PJ faster than before. I've opted to only drain my bike when I'm not going to ride it for longer than a week. Seems to work fine for me since fresh gas goes in the tank each time, washing out what gunk is in there. If the bike is going to sit for a while, I drain the carb. Haven't had a problem yet doing it this way.