2010 YZ450F sighting in the wild videos!

Rob was breaking in his new 2010 YZ450F today in the Nevada Desert. He wasn't on the throttle more than 1/2 to 3/4. There were times I was having a hard time keeping up on my RMZ450 at full throttle. In video 05 at about 5.30 minutes I take a bizzare rock hit to the temple while recording. How that rock made it between my googles and helmet was very strange!

http://vholdr.com/node/52784

http://vholdr.com/node/52785

http://vholdr.com/node/52786

http://vholdr.com/node/52789

http://vholdr.com/node/52795

http://vholdr.com/node/52801

Rob let me ride his new steed. The fuel injection was very linear and a smooth power delivery. You didn't realize how fast you were going until you apllied all the brakes almost locked up and you were still going to fast to make the turn! The bike handled very well and turns as well as my Zooks! Overall I was very impressed with bike! Yamaha is also offering a warranty for the duration of the financing agreement for a few extra bucks a month. The only thing the warranty doesn't cover is clutch components and tires. A great deal if you finance!

Where does it turn? All I noticed was straight desert riding? My 06 would have worked just fine.

Videos don't always do the terrain justice. There's no such thing as "straight desert" riding. Desert riding is some of the most "high speed" brutal riding there is like the "Baja 500" or "Baja 1000". I ride a KX500AF, RM250, CRF250R and an RMZ450. You must not have watched all the videos as there were plenty of high speed tight turns. I was impressed with the new fuel injected 2010 YZ450F Yamaha. I don't normally post in the Yamaha forum as I don't presently own one. I have owned a few in the past and they're fine machines. I don't quite understand your negativity towards the new 2010 YZ450F where my how well the new Yamaha turns comment is concerned? By the way in your profile picture you look just like Obama!

Vid 5 sure indicates that the 2010 is hard to start......this verifies what I have been hearing also.....it must have to be exactly on TDC before it will fire

ok maybe, but that is not how you should start a bike (brand new 2).

giving gas while kicking the FI bike?

i never touch my gas while kicking. same as this guy when it started. 2t symptom maybe.

ok maybe, but that is not how you should start a bike (brand new 2).

giving gas while kicking the FI bike?

i never touch my gas while kicking. same as this guy when it started. 2t symptom maybe.

Rob was still trying to figure it out. The book says if it doesn't start after the first couple of kicks to hold the throttle wide open and very easily kick it through once and then kick hard with the gas off. By the end of the day Rob had figured out how to start it with just a couple of kicks. He's coming off a YZ250 so he's in a whole new world.

Most EFI units will completely cease delivering fuel when the throttle is opened beyond a certain point at cranking speeds, and definitely not at full throttle. This is by design, and is referred to as a "clear flood mode". In truth, it somewhat mimics the behavior of a carburetor, since there is not enough vacuum over the discharge nozzles in a carb to pull any fuel into the air stream once the throttle opens beyond a certain point. Add that to the fact that there is no accelerator pump to worry about, and opening the throttle becomes an even more effective way to clear the engine of excess fuel with an EFI setup, since twisting the throttle won't add any more to it.

There was a statement made by what I recall as an authoritative source that did say that the YZF needed to be set against the compression before starting.

the bike was sweet! i hope your noggin get to feeling better. If there is anything I hate........It's a rock flying by and splitting my wig:smirk:

Haven't had my wig split lately but the bike sure is nice. We have s similar riding area in Eastern WA. called Juniper Forest. Haven't been there for a few years tho. Not nearly a big as areas on the Oregon coast but it's local.

Still waiting on mine. Supposed to be December...No word of any delay from my dealer.

Thanks for the post. :excuseme:

Update!

Rob the new 2010 YZ450F owner is now in the hospital! He went to a local MX track here in Vegas and over jumped a double table top. He broke three ribs, punctured a lung, broke his back, dislocated a hip and shoulder. His sister said that his helmet was cracked in half. He must have really hit hard! Rob is a very experienced rider and used to race Saddle Back and Glen Helen back in the 80's.

When I rode his new 450 I told him I thought the power was very deceiving. It is extremely smooth and puts it to the ground. You are accelerating much faster than it feels. Off idle and mid range especially.

Rob is expected to make a full recovery but time will tell if he will be able to ride again!

Rob the new 2010 YZ450F owner is now in the hospital! He went to a local MX track here in Vegas and over jumped a double table top. He broke three ribs, punctured a lung, broke his back, dislocated a hip and shoulder. His sister said that his helmet was cracked in half. He must have really hit hard! Rob is a very experienced rider and used to race Saddle Back and Glen Helen back in the 80's...

Rob is expected to make a full recovery but time will tell if he will be able to ride again!

With all my sympathy to your friend and his current plight, I nevertheless now step up on the soap box: This is precisely what I hate about "modern" MX. Wheels are not wings, and IMO, the whole thing went to hell when altitude became more important than speed.

i definately agree with grayracer on this..."modern mx" has turned into outdoor supercross....add to that the modern four stroke that is making it "possible" for someone to go buy a 450 go to a local track and hit a 80' triple 20' out of a corner while thats not really the norm..its possible on the four strokes ..which in essence removed alot of the "skill" required in riding that you needed to have "back in the day" on 2 strokes..where clutching,shifting,braking,corneringetc were needed in order to be fast and actually be able to hit the bigger jumps...now you can blow a corner get straight pin it and still clear the jumps with ease.....where is this sport headed?..lol