HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salasmauricio

2008 Exhaust, both cones removed!

6 posts in this topic

Finally, I've been searching a while about this, but so far I only found some people who removed just one of the cones, since I have a spare 2007 exhaust , I decided to take apart my OEM 2008 exhaust and remove BOTH of the inner cones that restricted the flow. Basically the air now flows free, no cones, no spark arrestor, nothing.:smirk:

In one word, awesome... I really think everybody should try this, I took it to the track today and everything felt better. I'm sure an after market exhaust system would be even better, but for those of you not wanting to spend 400-900 dollars this is a great improvement.

On the track there was a 2010 KX450 and the sound was about the same, even a YZ450 with FMF full system sounded just like mine.

So, there it is, now I get to use the OEM Ti header + shorty exhaust (which I think looks cool) with no restrictions, and the bike is just great. :excuseme:

Cheers :bonk:

MS

I think if someone (like you did) just used a normal core in this muffler, the system would perform as good as most aftermarket systems.

But it's LOUD!

I removed the first cone and noticed a small change in mid range power with very little change in sound. Then I removed both cones and added a quiet core spark arrestor. This combo added more power than stock and it is a little quieter. This is perfect for me I ride mostly trails... so for 20 bucks and a little welding I have a sparkie and a quiet core...

I think if someone (like you did) just used a normal core in this muffler, the system would perform as good as most aftermarket systems.

But it's LOUD!

Yes it's loud, but not even close to what I thought it would be, it sounds actually very nice, maybe not 96dB but definitely it's worth a try, there's no reason to leave those inner cones in there.

sorry I don't have any pictures of the cones removed, but even though I have a spare 2007 muffler I decided to keep the short 2008 on my bike