Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MADDOG

slightly twisted

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I`ve been visiting this site for some time now, and it seems as though you have the answers to just about everything so I am hoping that can help with me my little problem. It seems like every time I have even the smallest crash, my forks twist in the triple clamps I checked and torqued everthing down to specs (even though it did`nt need it) and it still does the same damn thing. help me please MADDOG

Dog stock triple clamps are cast aluminum and dont do the best job of gripping the tubes. Aftermarket clamps seem to help with the smaller get offs. Something has to give in the eventual major soil sample better to spin the tubes then to tweak something else. Thats all I got hope it helps; LATE

They are designed to twist a bit. It is important to torque them to spec for this reason, especially the lower clamps...

Mike

...but don't over-torque the pinch bolts, you could damage your fork tubes.

That would be bad.

How are you getting the clamps back aligned? I used to have the same problem because I would twist the clamps in a crash and then smash the front wheel into a tree from the side to staighten the bars/clams. This works in a pinch but unless after the ride you loosen the fork clamps and triple clamp to take the pressure off the clamps will twist again in the smallest crash.

Hope this isn't usless info.

Jon

Originally posted by jblain:

How are you getting the clamps back aligned? I used to have the same problem because I would twist the clamps in a crash and then smash the front wheel into a tree from the side to staighten the bars/clams. This works in a pinch but unless after the ride you loosen the fork clamps and triple clamp to take the pressure off the clamps will twist again in the smallest crash.

Hope this isn't usless info.

Jon

YOU ARE A TRUE DUDE! Sounds like what I would have done.

Hi guys this is maddog i`m the IDIOT that posted "slightly twisted" on the board awhile back and here again to retract my question because i went to do some work on the 426 and just relized that i did`nt tighten the pinch bolts after i got done installing new rubber.thanks for the help anyway, maddog(aka idiot)