HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christine

Cam info

10 posts in this topic

WR, prorerly jetted should not be hard to start to begin with. my 2001 426 will start on the first or second kick quaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am at 6000ft in elevation. check your jetting again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

either that or a 03 450 exhaust works well too
The OEM 450 cams used to be the way to go for a couple of reasons, but their prices have risen to match the price of Hot Cams , and the HotCams unit has improved on several points. Aftermarket cams made for the 426 fit the chain better, and are easier to time. At this point I no longer see an advantage to the OEM cam over Hot Cams, and I usually recommend using the HC now.

Either cam simplifies the starting drill by eliminating the need to pre-position the crank prior to each kick. You simply push it up against compression and then kick it. The AD system locates the crank in the perfect spot each time. IF, however, your idle circuit is not correctly jetted and trimmed, it will still not start as well as it should.

Stock 426 and 400 YZF/WRF engines, as well as YZ250f's in '01 and '02 were manual decompression only. Auto decompression came in with the 450 in '03.

My '00 426 was a first- or second-kick starter with the stock cam.
Maybe, and many are when properly set up and properly operated, but no serious attempt can be made to argue that that same 426 would not have been even easier, simpler, and quicker to start with auto decompression.