Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WR450FGreg

Unable to remove radiator shroud bolt ..... HELP!

7 posts in this topic

The '08 WR450F has little cylindrical aluminium "blocks" in the fuel tank that hold the radiator shroud bolts.

On my bike one of the bolts has apparently seized in it's block, the bolt spins the whole aluminium block ..... it won't come out.

(For the record: No, I don't over-tighten them. No I don't use heavy detergent which may have caused it to corrode. No I don't cross-thread things, I am very anal in this regard!)

I've tried everything I can think of (read: am game to try!) including (in desperation) my rattle gun in reverse, hoping that the jolting would loosen the bolt.

Nothing seems to work.

I began trying to lever the block out of the tank by levering a flat screwdriver between the shroud and the tank, but gave up because I was worried about damaging the tank.

HELP!!!

Greg

Get a socket onto a drill or rattle gun, spin the bolt as fast as you can and pull out on the shroud at the same time, this will melt the plastic that holds the nut in, but wont wreck your tank. Once it gets soft from spinning, it should come out. Grab some pliers or something and remove the nut from th end of the bolt. Grab some 2 part epoxy glue, mix it up, put a little in the tank where the nut was, but don't get it in the thread of the nut. Wait for it to set, and the nut will not come back out, works for me.

......and don't forget to take out all of your shroud bolts, and put 'anti-sieze' on them all, so you won't have to repeat this all over again.

and don't forget to take out all of your shroud bolts, and put 'anti-sieze' on them all, so you won't have to repeat this all over again.

YES Krannie, you're right.

Actually that's already on the agenda!

Cheers,

Greg

Did you try spraying the crap out of it with liquid wrench?

No, i hadn't thought of that, thanks!

I have been meaning to buy a can and try it out.

Never used it before, just heard of it.

Cheers,

Greg

The stuff is amazing. If you have the time lay the bike on it's side ....spray it and let it soak over night!