Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sawmillpond

Honda
oil for Honda 450 foreman

7 posts in this topic

Its it really a big deal to use non energy efficent oil in these machines. Was told it can ruin clutches and soforth. Thank you

use any OIL THAT IS DESIGNED FOR MOTORCYCLES. all of those are wet clutch safe. never run car oil in your atv/bike. valvoline 10-w40 ATV is avalibal at any retail store.

the real key on oil is to change it often, fresh oil gives the best lubrication and best protection. oil that has turned black is burnt and no longer provides adiquet lubrication.

There are several reasons why you don't want to use "car" oil....not even in your car! This lays them out pretty well....

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

More good info....

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

If you are willing to pay for a synthetic....

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/LubeNews2002.pdf

It is pretty simple to just pick a motorcycle specific oil that is API SG/JASO MA....there are a bunch of them out there. Yes...they will be more expensive than SpiffyLube that you will get at WallyWorld, but they have a real anti-wear additive package and nothing that will make your clutch slip.

Personally, I run nothing but ester based synthetics in all my vehicles, so that means Redline or Maxima.

Edited by reconranger

i use castrol gtx, royal purple , or the honda oil from the honda shop

my bike is 5 years old and has 500 hours,2700 miles and the only things that were repaired on it was berrings,steering joints,and brakes.(knock on wood) those are parts that wear no matter what and have nothing to do with engine oil

my honda is bullet proof

We run castrol 10w40. My dads foreman has about 3000 miles with no problem with the oil, and my rancher at has about 5000 miles and about 650 hours, no oil related problems either. We change it about every 500 miles

Edited by CountryboyMX720

As far as oil weight, consult your owner's manual. The 450 is an old school air cooled engine with loose tolerances, so it will spec thicker oils...unlike tighter more modern engines like the Rancher 420 and 450R (Rancher specs 0W30 as a year-round, all-weather oil!).

While 10W40 makes a good summer oil in most of the country, don't neglect to switch to a lighter oil like maybe 5W30 for winter riding!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By meter86
      Hey everyone, I am new to the world of 2 strokes and I am having an issue with a 1996 CR250r that I recently acquired. To begin with the bike will bog down when I first hit the throttle and will do so again if I let it sit for a bit.  However the problem goes away if I am constantly on and off the throttle.  The larger issue however is that the bike seems like it is hitting a rev limiter at 3/4 throttle and the power is lacking for a bike this size.  Id appreciate any help in trying to figure this out.
    • By cosmoKenney
      2009 Husky WR 300.
      New top and bottom end.
      New brake pads and they were just bled. 
      Hyde skid plate.
      FMF Gnarly pipe and FMF Q-Stealth silencer.
      JD Jet kit.
      Comes with extra cylinder, head and piston. 
      Comes with lighter springs for the suspension.
      Pulls like a mule.
      This is an awesome trail bike. If you ride Georgetown, Foresthill, Elkins Flat or Chalk Bluff this bike will not let you down.

• By Pendergoose
      Hey guys, just joined Thumper Talk. I have read a lot of threads on here and figured I would finally join. I just bought a 1985 Honda XL350. Everything on it is great. Except for the engine. The kickstarter won't go. I'm thinking the engine is seized. If I rock it back a tad in second gear then push the kickstart, it starts to turn just barely over then stops. The guy I bought it from said the timing chain was off. I'm still a rookie to engines, can any of you help/let me know what is going on and the best way to get this guy running again?

thanks,

jake

• By Honda Rob
      I am converting my 2005 Honda crf250r dirt bike into a street legal supermoto but have run into a problem. I used the tusk lighting kit and upgraded stator to do the conversion. Everything is working on the bike, turn signals, computer, taillight, on/off switch, ect. except the headlight!! I simply cannot figure out how to wire it to the tusk harness. Since its a race bike, it didn't have an existing headlight. The headlight I bought is the Poliosport Halo. Included are the diagrams to the headlight and the handlebar switch. If someone could explain how to go about wiring the headlight I would really appreciate it.

• By mclark102
      Hello, I am a 19 year old male, about 5'9" and 125 pounds Soaking wet. I haven't been dirt biking in about 7 years so I'm basically a beginner again. I have lots of experience driving bigger quads and a sleds. I will be doing trail riding at all times I imagine and just want a nice bike i can have a nice ride on with friends. Maintenance is not an issue and i have about a $2000 budget but will go over if needed. I would prefer a 4 stroke as well because i guess thats just my preference. I've heard a crf150 would be too small, but i feel like a crf230 would be too large for me. Thanks for the advice in advance!