Getting to the Cams

Hey, i need to take out the cams and have not done this ever before. I just simply need to know its possible to do without removing the engine from the frame, its tight as hell in there and i just want to double check.

Thanks

08 yz 450

Of course it's possible, people adjust their valves all the time without removing the engine. Take the gas tank off, then take the head stay off, the valve cover is a little tight coming off, but it fits. Then you just need to release the cam chain tensioner and take the cam caps off and you can pull the cams out. There is a little semicircular piece that sits in a grove in the cam bearing and in the cam cap, be careful not to drop this when you pull the cam cap off. It is a good idea to put a rag or something in the head where the cam chain goes down to the bottom end to keep this piece from falling down there if you drop it.

Do yourself a favor and use the search feature

Of course it's possible, people adjust their valves all the time without removing the engine. Take the gas tank off, then take the head stay off, the valve cover is a little tight coming off, but it fits. Then you just need to release the cam chain tensioner and take the cam caps off and you can pull the cams out. There is a little semicircular piece that sits in a grove in the cam bearing and in the cam cap, be careful not to drop this when you pull the cam cap off. It is a good idea to put a rag or something in the head where the cam chain goes down to the bottom end to keep this piece from falling down there if you drop it.

So you dont have to take any pins out of the cam chain on this bike right? saw a vid on youtube where the guy did that? (KTM vid) According to you once i loosing the tensioner they cams will come right out.

Thanks!

The cams will "come right out", sort of, yes. They have to be unbolted, rolled out of place to the center of the head, and tilted to the chain side in order to lift the chain clear of the sprocket, but no pins are ever removed from the chain.