HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tree_Slayer

What oil??

9 posts in this topic

Yama Lube is CRAP.. check the ratings on it and compare it to any other oils..

Its a low grade Mineral oil.. Mobil 1 doesn't even compare.

Persoanlly I run a semi-synthetic Castrol Motorcycle Oil and change it after every race day or aftre a couple of trails.

2 rides on Yam-lube and it came out like about 30 rides on the Castrol.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

This is a subjecy of much debate. Yamalube 4R is semi synthetic, and it is good oil but pricey. I used Castrol Syntec blend in mine for a couple races and had no problems but I chickened out and went back to Yamalube. I have read that the Mobil1 is good, but the one thing I'm sure of is you don't want to use anything that says "energy conserving", as it isn't compatible with the wet clutch. Castrol Syntec is one of these and I used this on one of my olf XR's with no problems. I think if you use amy good oil you will be ok as long as you change it frequently, I change mine every rce and once a week of just bouncing around riding...

Mike

I use Castrol GPS. . cos I sell it! :)

There are a couple of different Mobil 1's available.. one is ok.. the other is questionable.. but I'm sure people have used the EC version and had good results from it.

The thing isn't the quality of the oil, its how much you let it degrade.

Use a cheap mineral by all means but you MUST chnage it after each ride before it starts to go to the shite.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.

Golden Spectro 20W50 is working great for me. The life of the oil is great, and I feel the shifting of my clutch in conjuction with the Hinson set up is much smoother. It's a little spendy, but according to the Yamaha Factory Techs, it works the best!

Johnny- I have heard that before about the Golden Spectro, is that a motorcycle specific oil or is it generally available?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Sorry it took me some time to get back to you. That darn work thing always gets in the way of fun. Anyway, Golden Spectro is available at most major Motorcycle Dealers. Good Luck and let me know what you think!!

I have been using Mobil 1 15w50 for a few months and it has worked out well. The main thing about using this is availability, you can get it anywhere, and cost, about $3 to $4. I also think it is superior to petroleum based oils and is certainly less than motorcycle specific oils. Some interesting reading and data. www.trail.com/~jrabe/oil.html and www.trail.com/~jrabe/oilfaq.html