Topped out at 97?

I had my '06 on pavement yesterday, Hwy 36 outside of Red Bluff and topped out at 97 mph. all mods done and uncorked.

I remember reading a past post on TT about a rev limiter? I did not find what I was looking for in the search feature.

I think the bike could go faster, but it kept shutting down at 97?

Built in safety feature? Just wondering.....

I had my '06 on pavement yesterday, Hwy 36 outside of Red Bluff and topped out at 97 mph. all mods done and uncorked.

I remember reading a past post on TT about a rev limiter? I did not find what I was looking for in the search feature.

I think the bike could go faster, but it kept shutting down at 97?

Built in safety feature? Just wondering.....

Search for 'gray wire' mod.

You must have your bike geared way up to reach 97mph......stock is about 70.

What?? My 450 '06 stock geared ( 14 / 50 ) hits the rev limiter at about 99 MPH....

You can go faster by gearing it longer, but I never did it. I'm now running 13 / 49 for tight single tracks...

Also, the grey wire mod affects the timing curve, not the rev limiter ....

Greetings...

Edited by diegox450
Typo

it is off more than a little ?

which way is it off... so I can compensate on the road.... does it say I am going faster than I am or am I go faster than it says I am.

I am thinking that I am going faster than it says I am because everytime i ride with other buddies that have trip meeters on thier bikes... their bikes always have a couple more miles than what mine says.....

• 2 weeks later...

Those readings do seem fast to me too. My 2003 WR450 hit 85mph with stock gearing (this was on a hard packed dirt road though). I would expect that it would hit maybe 90-95 on pavement but don't plan on finding out anytime soon. Can't afford to fix the motor when it blows b/c of abuse lol.