HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stealman

problem with NueTech tubeliss

39 posts in this topic

I am just wearing out my first set of tires with the Neutech tubeliss. I have discovered a problem with this set up. My knobies are starting to chunk and the tire is leaking wear the knobies are tearing. I am running a Kenda Washougal.

Has anyone else experianced this?

Will all tires leak when the knobies start to tear?

Will slime work to seal it up so I can continue to use this tire?

I know I should just replace the tire, but I dont race and would prefer to run this tire a bit more.

I wish I could help. But to be fair to the NueTech guys i sounds like you have a tire problem not a tubeliss problem.

I have heard of people having luck with the slime. If it works for you let us know.

I would not want slime all over my tubleliss. The previous owner of my bike had slimed the front tire and the inside of my rim is a mess. It doesn't effect anything but it's just aggervating.

May not just be a Kenda thing but don't like Kendas, hope we get some feedback, I don't think its been mentioned in the previous extensive tubeliss post.

I have a heavily chunked and worn out Desert IT that was used when i put it on the tubliss and it still works great no leaks. It's the tires fault not the tubliss. I used the stans sealant that is made for mountain bikes in the front because i was putting a really old used 756 on the front and I couldn't get it to seal up. It sealed up the tire and is working great. I would try some on your Kenda and see how it does.

I had an IRC MB5 tire with slime in the Tubliss system and when I started losing knobs, I did notice slime oozing out. I still had tire pressure, but unfortunately I didn't check what the pressure was. I took it as a sign to replace the tire and not a Tubliss issue. I've run several rear tires so far and I'm just loving this system:thumbsup: I run my front tire @ 11psi and rear 6-8psi.

My new favorite tire because I'm cheap is the Maxxis Desert IT tire. Normally I'm not a huge fan of this tire because it doesn't hook up super good when compared to other tires, but it takes a licking and keeps on ticking for a long time. The Desert IT at 6-8psi is a totally different beast and the hook up is unreal:thumbsup:

Now I've got to give tubliss so more props. My last ride I had a 3" long rusty nail hit my rear tire and of course this resulted in a flat. Went right through the tire and hit the inner tubliss system. Bummer, but this nail would have taken out any of the HD tubes out there. Out of 20 plus years of riding I think this is my 2nd time a flat was caused by a nail, so with those odds I'll keep riding with the tubliss system. I emailed Jeff at tubliss with this story and he sent me out 2 free inner tubes for my rear tubliss system:thumbsup::smirk: How many companies would do that? Incredible customer service!

2 people like this

I agree that it is not a tubliss problem, but if there was a normal tube set up it would hold air. I am not sure about using slime or stans. I am afraid of the mess. I think I will get a maxis it next and see how that works.

I agree that it is not a tubliss problem, but if there was a normal tube set up it would hold air. I am not sure about using slime or stans. I am afraid of the mess. I think I will get a maxis it next and see how that works.

If you're in Southern Ca, Chaperral (sp) Motorsports has the Desert IT for $59 and like I said they can take a serious beating! I bought the 120/90 19 size:thumbsup:Unfortunately the Desert IT tires are super stiff which makes putting them on yourself challenging. Good luck

doesn't throwing slime in there totally outweigh any weight savings, you could still run lower pressure but I know I hated the slime in my mountain bike tires as that rotational weight feels heavier than it is. Just a thought. I have been toyig with which system to try out for my off road bike but likely will stick with a heavy duty tube for now until they have been tried and tested more. I have never had a pinch flat yet with my hd tubes and we run some very rocky terrain (the rockies) but I do air up a bit on the front tire when I know its rocky like that, rear I'm usually 13-14 unless it's muddy then I go to 12psi and even 10-11 in the sand dunes with a paddle. Benefit of the 18inch rear rim for off road I guess.

I would normally agree that running sealant in a tube dirt setup can be a messy and often useless effort, but with the tubeless setup, isn't running sealant in that application more like the benefit one gets in a tubeless ATV setup? I think most all ATV folks run sealant in their tubeless setups, and they seem to work extremely well. Sealant in a tube is often not worth the effort from my experience, but a tubeless dirt tire might actually benefit from it. I have tubeless Slime in mine right now, and I'm going to see how it goes. I normally hate the stuff for dirt bikes or mountainbikes, but I'd never run an ATV or lawn tractor in tubeless mode without it, and I think the Nuetech setup is more similar to those. Maybe we're applying too much of the negative Slime and tube history here?

yep.... dont want that stuff in my tires.

Don't think I'll need it either, because even with UHD tubes, i never got flats.....

doesn't throwing slime in there totally outweigh any weight savings, you could still run lower pressure but I know I hated the slime in my mountain bike tires as that rotational weight feels heavier than it is. Just a thought. I have been toyig with which system to try out for my off road bike but likely will stick with a heavy duty tube for now until they have been tried and tested more. I have never had a pinch flat yet with my hd tubes and we run some very rocky terrain (the rockies) but I do air up a bit on the front tire when I know its rocky like that, rear I'm usually 13-14 unless it's muddy then I go to 12psi and even 10-11 in the sand dunes with a paddle. Benefit of the 18inch rear rim for off road I guess.

You don't use tubliss kits on a moto for the weight savings, you use it for the flat protection. If you want to save weight, use a lighter tire, rim, and sprocket.

On a mountain bike you can notice the rotational weight savings but that's still not the #1 reason you would chose to run it. That would also be flat protection.

Jeff at Nuetec is great. I have had a couple of issues as well. I ripped off a valve stem by over tightening it (totally my own fault) and he sent me out 2 new inner tubes with a roll of tape and stickers for free. I am also running a Kenda tire in the back. On my third ride one of the knobs started ripping off at the base and thus started losing air. Jeff says use slime (not Stan's because it dries out too fast in a moto application) and it should seal up.

The biggest problem here is running Kenda tires. lol....

You don't use tubliss kits on a moto for the weight savings, you use it for the flat protection. If you want to save weight, use a lighter tire, rim, and sprocket.

On a mountain bike you can notice the rotational weight savings but that's still not the #1 reason you would chose to run it. That would also be flat protection.

Jeff at Nuetec is great. I have had a couple of issues as well. I ripped off a valve stem by over tightening it (totally my own fault) and he sent me out 2 new inner tubes with a roll of tape and stickers for free. I am also running a Kenda tire in the back. On my third ride one of the knobs started ripping off at the base and thus started losing air. Jeff says use slime (not Stan's because it dries out too fast in a moto application) and it should seal up.

The biggest problem here is running Kenda tires. lol....

DS, which Kenda are/were you running?

I went through two of those carlsbads because they were cheaper and my local tire shop guy bikes and could order them in cheap for me but same thing kept ripping knobies off, outside edges mostly. Went to a perilli scorpion of some sort I think, great tire.

I got it super cheap so that's the only reason I bought it. I don't know what the hell Kenda puts in their rubber but their mountain bike tires do it too.

Guys what's really the issue with sliming the tire and creating a mess. I find when I go to a new tire I take a garden hose and rinse all the slime off and its clean. Rim is clean and so is the tubliss. Granted I'm only doing this now when I'm replacing tires because with the tubliss, I don't get flats! And the one that I did, I simply plugged it and was riding 10 minutes later. With Tubes it was a pain in the ass because I was always getting flats and the slime made it a pain when changing tubes out on the trail or even at the truck.

I would never run tubes or tubliss without slime for where I ride. (I will also never run tubes again) We have huge mesquite trees down here and thorns are over 3" at times.

over 1000 miles and 1 flat fixed with a plug in the front tire. I'm a believer in the Tubliss

Setup:

Rear tire: Dunlop 739 Desert A/T with 7-9lbs of pressure

Front tire: Pirelli Scorpion Pro Mid-Hard with 10-13lbs of pressure

PSI Less for sand, more for rocks

I hate to say it but cheep tires are just that cheep. Run a good tire like Michelin or Dunlop and when the knobs do pull off they dont rip down to the core. Slime has become my friend. In a race I don't always go around the cactus or mesquite bushes. At speed I have not noticed any side affects. As said before wash it off with a hose and keep going.

We just had a really bad race for tires, tubes, and rims. Allmost every rider running tne tubeliss system finished despit major rim damage. All the tubeliss setups heldup great and most still had air. A tube would have pinched and bin flat. The rims were trash but hell they still had air. Im sold.