help. im thinking about buying a wr 450, enduro, 2008 reg.

hi, as this is my first time on thumpertalk and this is my first post, im hoping no one has asked about what im going to ask !!!!!!!!!!

ive just left a deposit on a wr 450 enduro on a 2008 reg and i go to pick it up on tuesday.. :ride:

im wanting to use it for greenlaning / in north east england and im hoping im making the right choice, i have had bikes all my life but only been doing greenlaning/enduro for the last 2 years,i used to have sports bikes !!!

my last bike was a xr 400 and to be honest was a great bike but was getting a bit old in the tooth and that kickstart was a bit of a pain.. hence why ive chose one with the magic button !!!!

if any of you have had one and can tell me what to look out for, or any problems you have known about which may help me..

im hoping ive made the right choice as its a lot of money and any help you can give me will be much appreciated..

also if you could tell me of any upgrades to better the handling and performance ect would be great as the bike is standard , its done 900 miles, if that helps you..

im 35, and 6 foot 2, im 17 stone so a big lump as the wife keeps reminding me...?

ive looked at the ktms, exc, and the drz, but really like the look of the wr..

anyway. like ive said , any help will be much appreciated as its not long before i go and hand over the cash...

keep a look out for 4th and 5th gear wear as if the person is a wheelie freak it can wear the gears out as my friend found out when he wheelied his a lot, it started jumping out of 5th gear and it cost him a bit to get fixed, he had a white bros exhaust on his it gave good performance and sounded the muts nuts too! hope this helps in any way.

Welcome to the forum!

Great and reliable bike. You have lots of smooth power after uncorking her. Read the stickies in this forum, they are plenty of useful info about our bike.

Mine has 9200 kms and still no problems away from maintenance.

Good luck and congrats!!

To start with you are a big guy? --- suspension -- if you weight is over 185lbs you are gonna need heavier springs front and back to get the most out of the suspension and to make it turn better, you will notice that the front will want to push out on you, until you spring it and set the sag!!-- lots of help and info hear! -- check out the sticky's and use the search feature. Please tell us your weight in lbs. Check out the Mod's etc. -- grey wire,ais kit, air box mod's, fuel screw, o-ring, set the AP timing, jetting, pipe's etc. etc. Do some searching and reading first.

, wont be needing new springs, so thats going to save me a few pennys for something else to buy.. wooohooo.. freind who sets them has told me so anyway. when i pick it up ive got to take it over and he said he will set it for me..

the grey wire, ive been told that that doesnt do a single thing, is this right mate as im confused now, was told on here..

what does the grey wire do , and thanks for that bit of info..

so the wr 450, alloy frame is a cracking bike then..

i carnt wait to pick her up on tuesday..

my neighbours are going to hate me come tues.. wooohooo.. ahahahah

GOD I CARNT WAIT...

good choice, I came from street bikes too, my '07 WR is my first dirt bike (well SM now), I bought mine with 3000 miles and put another 1200 on so far, one thing that I was surprised to see was coolant leaking through the weep hole under water pump, never seen this on a street bike even with mileages like 50000 but aparently on WR and other MX/hard enduros it's normal, an easy fix though, otherwise brilliant bike , love that engine and the lack of weight compared to my Z900:ride:

, the grey wire, ive been told that that doesnt do a single thing, is this right mate as im confused now, was told on here..

GOD I CARNT WAIT...

As far as grey wire goes, I put a switch on mine (instead of cutting it) to test the difference on and off. I can't feel a single bit of difference. Maybe I just don't ride the bike hard enough to tell. Thats my two cents.

The grey wire does make a significant change.

Disconnected it:

Sharper throttle response

More power

Stutters more at steady mid throttle

Connected it:

Softer throttle response

Less wheel spin in low traction situations

More control in tight single track

I have the switch installed in my air box. Most of the time, it is in the disconnected position. But faced with muddy single track, it is in the connected setting.

17 stone is 238 pounds....as ww44wr450f alluded to, you will be needing new shock and fork springs to achieve proper sag and suspension action.

, wont be needing new springs, so thats going to save me a few pennys for something else to buy.. wooohooo.. freind who sets them has told me so anyway. when i pick it up ive got to take it over and he said he will set it for me..

the grey wire, ive been told that that doesnt do a single thing, is this right mate as im confused now, was told on here..

so the wr 450, alloy frame is a cracking bike then..

i carnt wait to pick her up on tuesday..

my neighbours are going to hate me come tues.. wooohooo.. ahahahah

GOD I CARNT WAIT...