HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mywifefarts

Timing chain advice please.

13 posts in this topic

you can get the oem on thumpertalk for around 16 buck the pro x is around 70 on rockymountainmc.com
And to elaborate on that a bit, let me say this:

To me, what you get for sure out of buying the Pro X is that you know absolutely who the vendor is. With an OEM chain, you don't, and it's pretty certain that you never will. Now, I very seriously doubt that the Pro X specification is any better than what Yamaha asked their vendor for, but there is a strong likelihood that Yamaha got less than they asked for from that vendor for at least some of the chains delivered them between late '06 and '08.

If you are a component vendor, and you want to continue to do business with ANY major Japanese manufacturer, supplying them a big batch of substandard stuff is not a long term strategy for success, and if that was what happened with the cam chains, I am very confident that Yamaha has probably already taken action on the matter.

Could Borg-Warner, Japan build a bad chain? Of course they could. Their reputation, however does not suggest that they will, though.

So, here it is. If your confidence in the OEM chain is at an uncomfortable level, and it's worth $50-70 to get it back, then the Pro X chain is what you should use. Otherwise, there shouldn't really be that big a difference.

where can you get a chain for 16bucks i ordered an oem one from the tt store and it was about 40 bucks.
That's because you don't own a 450.

And to elaborate on that a bit, let me say this:

To me, what you get for sure out of buying the Pro X is that you know absolutely who the vendor is. With an OEM chain, you don't, and it's pretty certain that you never will. Now, I very seriously doubt that the Pro X specification is any better than what Yamaha asked their vendor for, but there is a strong likelihood that Yamaha got less than they asked for from that vendor for at least some of the chains delivered them between late '06 and '08.

If you are a component vendor, and you want to continue to do business with ANY major Japanese manufacturer, supplying them a big batch of substandard stuff is not a long term strategy for success, and if that was what happened with the cam chains, I am very confident that Yamaha has probably already taken action on the matter.

Could Borg-Warner, Japan build a bad chain? Of course they could. Their reputation, however does not suggest that they will, though.

So, here it is. If your confidence in the OEM chain is at an uncomfortable level, and it's worth $50-70 to get it back, then the Pro X chain is what you should use. Otherwise, there shouldn't really be that big a difference.

Thanks! That answers any question I had on the subject.

I do love when you "elaborate". :smirk: You always shed light on a topic and at the same time usually answer questions I wasn't even aware that I had!:ride: