HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zakrad_u

Athena vs. Cylinder Works

10 posts in this topic

Is there any differences in reliability with the 478 big bore kits? Any other major difference that sets one apart from the other, other than the $150 less price tag?

Thanks, Zak

I believe the Athena kit has larger water jackets and thicker liner material. The works is just a stock type cylinder with a new coated bore.

I believe the Athena kit has larger water jackets and thicker liner material. The works is just a stock type cylinder with a new coated bore.

So if i'm going to get a big bore, just go for the Athena?

I had an athena kit on my 03 honda crf450. It was flawless get the kit, get a jd jetting kit for your carb set it up like james tells ya it will be perfect and enjoy. I ported my head on the 03 made a huge difference. Unbeleivable torque monster.

Flyn Ryan

It looks like my 04 yz450f cylinder is toast, so I'm trying to decide what to do. I see that a stock cylinder is $250 plus roughly $200 for piston kit and gaskets. The Cylinder Works big bore kit is $550 at rocky mountain. I am 6'4" 220 so I could definitely benifit from more power. Which option maintains some reliability, is best bang for buck, and I can run with 91 gas? I ride mx and trails at 4000 ft and higher.

1) all stock

2) stock cylinder/higher compression piston (13 or 13.5)

3) big bore kit (are there any other mods required for this upgrade? is the cylinder works kit a solid product?)

or maybe bore out my current cylinder with langcourt and get a big bore piston from athena? also just found an athena big bore kit for $600 at motosport.com. thanks guys.

I have two YZ450 08's. One has the Cylinder Works 478 big bore. The other has the Athena 478 big bore. Have 40 plus hours on each. No performance difference. Both drink oil on hard days, both sip oil on intermediate rides. If I was going to keep a bike long term I would get the Athena.

I have two YZ450 08's. One has the Cylinder Works 478 big bore. The other has the Athena 478 big bore. Have 40 plus hours on each. No performance difference. Both drink oil on hard days, both sip oil on intermediate rides. If I was going to keep a bike long term I would get the Athena.

Pretty sure the Athena has one compression ring. I would stay away from that. The reason for oil consumption and sooner ring replacements.

Not familiar with the Cylinder Works but if it uses the two compression rings like the oem I would choose that one.

not sure on reliability, but last weekend I rode an 07 with the Athena Kit on it, with a 14-53 sproket set up it was nasty, power everywhere, rode bike in 3 rd gear entire time.