HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rsumney

weep hole

7 posts in this topic

my 06 450f has a weep hole on the side cylinder. does this need any special attention when washing the bike, like plugging it so no water goes inside?

I keep it simple and just pop a q-tip in the hole before washing and try to avoid spraying directly at it...I don't think that is even really all that necessary as I always ride the bike for a few minutes right after washing anyway, to evaporate water that's hard to get to...

Well it is there to drain water. I would like to think water going in there couldn't be so high pressured to hurt the metal casing of a spark plug or the weep hole's wall.

Well it is there to drain water.
It's actual purpose is to drain away oil that might come from a leaking cam cover gasket, or fuel "smooge" that would be forced past a leaking spark plug. Draining water is an entirely secondary function. I personally don't concern myself with whether water gets in it or not, but there's certainly no harm in plugging it while washing.

If you want to plug it, a golf tee works great. Personally, I don't bother to.