Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fridayman

Permatex copper gasket spray

24 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of an on-line store that sells this stuff and can ship internationally (UK)?

Last time this came up a few months ago, I contacted Permatex , and was told they do not ship the aerosol copper coat to the UK.

Not positive on the K&W brand, I never asked

Last time this came up a few months ago, I contacted Permatex , and was told they do not ship the aerosol copper coat to the UK.

Not positive on the K&W brand, I never asked

I had the same conversation with Permatex. I suspect that on-line stores probably won't want to ship any aerosol products. I was at the dhl office on Saturday and there was a guy sending stuff to his son in Iraq and they wouldn't take it because it had aerosol deodorants in it.

I put a call in to the CRC outlet near me and he is looking to see if he can get hold of the K&W aerosol for me. It sounds like it is a US product so I may have to buy a whole box of it.

Do you know if Loctite 3020 is the same, or would do the same job?

Well, I caveat all the following with. I have not tried using this product. But from the MSDS and Technical data sheet http://www.akd-tools.gr/xmsAssets/File/TDS/LOCTITE/loctite_3020.PDF

http://www.kopaz.com.tr/bayilikler/loctite/tds/3020-EN.pdf

I would say that if I could not get one of the other copper coat products, I would try the Loctite 3020.

It seems to be intended for use in an a like use.. So it’s worth a try. I think it is more of a adhesive then sealer though, so it may not work as well as the copper products.. No way to know without trying.

Here is the EU MSDS:

http://www.brammer.co.uk/images/sce/UK%20Datasheets/Loctite/Loctite%203020.pdf

Just a quick read over it... there is no mention of copper. In my last job, I had to write MSDS sheets for our products... and if it was going to the UK... I would have to add any "Heavy Metals" in the MSDS. (or any metal salts, or Azo metal complexes)

Just my opinion here... it is only a spray glue used to hold large paper based gaskets in place for industrial use, and not for a metal head gasket. It would be fine for holding the case cover gaskets on for assembly. BUT... I have not personally used the product, so I don't know for sure.

Last clue is the color is listed as "Clear/red." Coper coat is very copper colored after 2 or 3 coats.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

Tony; True it is not a copper based sealant.. but according to the product sheet, it is specified as a sealant and used in applications such as head gaskets.

“TYPICAL APPLICATIONS

Loctite 3020 is recommended for use on all types of pre-cut

gaskets, transmission gaskets, head gaskets, clutch

assembly and differential gaskets, made of rubber, cork,

paper, metal and asbestos. It holds the gaskets in place

during assembly and improves gasket performance in

operation.”

I do agree, it is primarily a gasket holding product.. So, second best in my mind for the intended application.

Here is the EU MSDS:

http://www.brammer.co.uk/images/sce/UK%20Datasheets/Loctite/Loctite%203020.pdf

Just a quick read over it... there is no mention of copper. In my last job, I had to write MSDS sheets for our products... and if it was going to the UK... I would have to add any "Heavy Metals" in the MSDS. (or any metal salts, or Azo metal complexes)

Just my opinion here... it is only a spray glue used to hold large paper based gaskets in place for industrial use, and not for a metal head gasket. It would be fine for holding the case cover gaskets on for assembly. BUT... I have not personally used the product, so I don't know for sure.

Last clue is the color is listed as "Clear/red." Coper coat is very copper colored after 2 or 3 coats.

Just my 2 cents... take it for what it's worth.

Not to worry. I found a race shop over here that has some. I should have it tomorrow, so just waiting for the bb kit to arrive.

Which product did you find? and if you could, ask where they sourced it from?

I may do a Why/How to article that addresses treating head gaskets,,, as it seems to be an often confused deal.

Sure... but the copper helps fill the little iregularities, and transfer heat.

Which part??? I thought your observations were dead on.. That product is not really in the same class as the copper coat,, It is more a adhesive..:smirk:

Which product did you find? and if you could, ask where they sourced it from?

I may do a Why/How to article that addresses treating head gaskets,,, as it seems to be an often confused deal.

I forgot the name, but it is an aerosol copper gasket sealant. I'll post up the name when it arrives tomorrow.

Please do as mine is gonna be done any day and its 94.5mm. So im gonna need it too and cant find it either. Would be much appreciated :smirk:

I used the Loctite 3020 http://www.akd-tools.gr/xmsAssets/File/TDS/LOCTITE/loctite_3020.PDF on my 94mm bore. Nothing else could be found to use here in Sweden. Have ride 3000km whitout any issues now.

Well thats good to know,,, what CR are your running? as head gasket treatment is not really needed for 94mm and below bores and or non high compression motors,, Can it hurt? no,, just not really needed.

Never used it, have had the head of mine twice in 34,000 miles just used the headgasket with everything dry no problems.

Never used it, have had the head of mine twice in 34,000 miles just used the headgasket with everything dry no problems.

Can you quantify your observations so readers know if they are relevant to the discussion :ride:

What size bore is your motor?

What is the CR?

If 94mm or less, 12.3:1 or less, then treating the head gasket does not apply :smirk:

So if mine will be a 94.5mm with 12.5:1 (using single layer base gasket) I will have to user copper spray. If I use a 3 layer base gasket would the CR be 12.3:1? And if so, is this a more reliable route as far as head gasket sealing issues go? Also would i notice less performance with lower CR?

So if mine will be a 94.5mm with 12.5:1 (using single layer base gasket) I will have to user copper spray. If I use a 3 layer base gasket would the CR be 12.3:1? And if so, is this a more reliable route as far as head gasket sealing issues go? Also would i notice less performance with lower CR?

DRZ with standard CR piston, single layer base gasket, 12.2:1 CR

DRZ with standard CR piston, three layer base gasket 11.3:1 CR

If your running a bore greater then 94mm, a high compression pistion,, (as in 13.5:1) then use of head gasket treatment may be in order.

Edited by E.Marquez

Hmmm, he advertises the wiseco piston as high compression. I contacted him and he says its 12.5:1. Eddie Says that CR is with a single layer gasket. Would there be less chance of gasket issues with a 3 layer? Im assuming the CR would end up at 11.5:1?