WR gearing in 426

why would you want to only use cerrtain gears and not the whole set?Is there too much of ratio change in the wr gearset or will there be big gap if you onl;y use 1st,2nd,&5th?does anybody know the gear ratios for the wr versus the 426?I have the set of gears ready to go back together and need input of the best way for west coast desert racing?

click onto '30 days' & you'll find an article on gear ratio's by Taffy. hope it helps

As per Taffy check on a article I posted on the gear ratio change.

To answer your question : 3rd and 4th gear ratios on the YZ and WR are almost identical. I therefore did not change mine purely to save some money on the conversion. The bike runs great with the 1st, 2nd and 5th gear conversion. There are no 'gaps' in the gearbox as you run through the gears. The bike with the modified ratios is perfect for almost all off road terrain.

As per Taffy check on a article I posted on the gear ratio change.

To answer your question : 3rd and 4th gear ratios on the YZ and WR are almost identical. I therefore did not change mine purely to save some money on the conversion. The bike runs great with the 1st, 2nd and 5th gear conversion. There are no 'gaps' in the gearbox as you run through the gears. The bike with the modified ratios is perfect for almost all off road terrain.

One small correction.

The article was not initiated by myself but its title is

'Gear Change - CraigW, anyone else?'

It was listed on 5-29-2000.

Does the 426 not have a diffent ratio between the crank and the clutch?

This is probably minor in the gear change and will not change the feel of the WR gears.. but just make the whole lot atiny bit taller.. not enought to be concerned about though.

------------------

--

**Ride it like you Stole it!**

Matt Porritt

99 YZ400F

Vist the Rubber Chicken Racing Online Shop

Discounts for ThumperTalk members.