extreme bucking when landing a triple short

I just started riding this summer and have really enjoyed jumps. My progession has been halted by a lack of knowledge regaurding suspension settings and jumping technique. I ride a 2004 yz450f. I recently changed out my rear srping for a heavier spring, replaced fork springs with heavier springs and changed fork seals, dust covers and oil. I have just started trying this particular tripple and have only cleared it once on the first try. After that, its been disastrous ever since. When I come up short on the somewhat of a flat landing my motorcycle bounces arround and bucks me off. Its starting to hurt! Besides clear it as an obvious answer, any tips on jumping or suspension settings would be really helpful. The jump is about 65' long. I weigh aprox. 205. And yes i'm trying to loose weight to get down to 185. I also just put on a 54 tooth rear sprocket and d.i.d chain. Everything seems to be running just fine. Please help!!! before I wreck really bad:):bonk:

Is your sag set properly?

How about your rebound and compression?

Too little or too much sag totally alters your suspension's ability to properly take off the face of the jump (meaning, you could be losing some speed needed to clearing) and then the rebound may be too slow or too fast or not have enough to control the stored energy that is trying to buck you off.

Having said that, flat landing a big jump will almost always send you "that a way"; that's why practicing landing on the backside of jumps is just so much safer, quicker and less tiring.

I had adjusted the sag settings properly before i put on the new heavier springs in front and heavier spring in rear. But I felt like the landings were still to hard and that the bike was bottoming out so I gave the bike as much of the spring sag rigidity as possible thinking that that would help? I'm just not sure where the settings should be. I'm 210-215lbs with gear on. Put new heavier springs on front forks for a 200-210lb rider and a new heavier spring on the rear for a 200-220lb rider. Should I set the sag back to where it should be?

I found a good web site a while back call Motocross 101. I learned many of the tips on this web site the hard way with no one to help me (many brused body parts). I would look at the suspention tips on TT and other web sites and study the information before you try any adjustments. As for the triple with no landing mound....I would just double and keep the wheels on the ground. Broken back or busted leg can end a good time. Take care and check out some riding and suspention tips. Have a good day.:bonk:

No doubt, on a 65 foot jump with no landing you may not have much of a choice to slam. Generally your better of slightly over shooting a jump, as opposed to coming up short. Coming up short increases your chances of getting hurt. It dont matter how far the jump is. If the landing transition is right, you more than likely wont slam. I recently started riding again after 15 a year gap. I noticed right away that its much better to do the jumps completely. Doing a jump half ass will always hurt more, than hitting it hard and worrying about the landing in the air. Try not to worry yourself before you take off, thats no good. Remember fear is the only thing that holds you back. Dont let it hold you back do it!

I'm just not sure where the settings should be. ... Should I set the sag back to where it should be?
The sag should be 95-100mm:

http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm

http://www.tootechracing.com/Static%20Sag%20Suspension%20Tip.htm

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/tech/suspension.html

If you are flat landing a 60' table top, just expect it to be harsh and probably bottom. If the bike were reworked to be able to land that smoothly, it would still feel harsh, and it would be so stiff elsewhere that it would be unrideable.

If you land a 65' double or triple five feet short the way most of them are built these days, expect to get hurt. This is what I detest about "modern" MX, but I don't want to get started on that here. What you need to do mostly is work on your riding, not the bike.

You need to reajust the sag 'after' you put on the heavier spring. Also, have someone who know's 'what's up' watch you ride and provide info on the 'balance/reaction' of your bike. Or have someone video tape you ride. Don't only pay attention to how you land on jumps, but everything. IF your a new rider, it might be as simple as body position. Another useful tool that you can break down with video of yourself

I've cased more doubles than I care (or can) remember. Most riders when anticipating a landing other than ideal, will tend to panic and "chop" the throttle. This scenario actually makes the "slap" landing even more harsh. I attended the Tony D MX school years ago, and they tought me in the same situation to hold the throttle 1/2 open in the air, as the bike lands, the powering rear wheel actually helps the rear suspension more smoothly absorb a portion of the impact. I'm not saying this method will make all your missed landings feel silky smooth, but it will help. Problem is with this method it takes a unique dicipline of getting over a fear.... like who the hell want's to hold more throttle when you think you're gonna pile yourself into a dirt nap? Anyway try it on small jumps first, and i'll bet you notice a difference...

Rich

It is not just the sag you need to consider here. You probably need slow the rebound down. Does the front and the rear pojo/lift up very fast, after the bike fully compresses? or Just the rear? Which ever end slow the rebound down. And speaking of compression, how bad does it hurt your hands/feet when it fully compresses before rebounding sending you off the bike? Remember you stiffened both ends with the new stiffer springs. You must compensate the compression settings (in this case slightly speed up the compression 1-2 clicks to start) to get a setting that does not completely bottom too fast causing pain but that absorbs the impact. Adjust the clickers Comp & rebound only 1-2 positions in or out from the stock recommended settings to start, then fine tune based on landing results after 2-3 times. High speed comp on the shock leave at stock setting. Also it is key to have the rear tire spinning on landing impact as this help absorb impact. As the previous thread indicates right before hitting the ground twist the throttle 1/4 to 1/2 a turn as the rear wheel enertia/spinning helps to aborb impact. ?