Draining oil from an '06+ with the skid plate in place

After owning an '03, with both drain plugs accessible and pointed neatly out so as not to splatter anything, I found the drain plugs on my new '06 to be somewhat annoying. Then when I put a skid plate on the bikes, things really went to hell. The lower rear crankcase drain was OK, because the hole in the plate was correctly sized and placed. But the "tank" drain on the left side was another matter. The first thing I did was bend up an elaborate little steel tray/gutter/funnel gizmo to channel the oil out to the rear edge of the plate. That sort of worked, but only sort of.

This latest solution works quite well, though. I eyeballed the location for a 1" hole in the skid plate, removed the plate and used a 1" hole saw to bore the hole. Then I cut a small sheet of light gauge stainless from some stuff laying around and rolled it into a 3/4 round semi-tubular shape. The engine end is cut at a 45 degree angle so it will reach under the drain bolt. This I insert through the hole when draining oil, and I use a 12mm swivel socket to loosen the plug.

I leave the dip stick in place at first to slow the flow of oil through the drain, then remove it to let it finish up. Works very well.

drain.jpg?t=1256430843

hmm Grey looks like another business venture idea towards your retirement ?
If you mean the "tube", I could sell that for $19.95 with instructions, or $39.95 with a hole saw included, and then some knucklehead would smash his fingers while cutting the hole and sue me.

If you mean selling mud in California, you can make your own in the back yard with a hose.

If you mean the "tube", I could sell that for $19.95 with instructions, or $39.95 with a hole saw included, and then some knucklehead would smash his fingers while cutting the hole and sue me.

If you mean selling mud in California, you can make your own in the back yard with a hose.

Hey now, you come up with some great stuff....get a good lawyer?

Here is your Co name, free from me... GRRP GreyRacerRacing Products ?

Sell a bunch and retire to that expensive island to the West and don't forget about that redneck in Ga that told you so :ride:

the new scorpion racing heavy duty skid plates suppose to come with an extra hole for draining the oil without taking the skid plate off.

when i got mine i been told that i will not need to take it off to drain the oil, but there was only 1 hole(was the first batch:banghead:). i whould still check it twice.

and for the mud lovers: when you buy this skid plate you get "FOAM TAPE TO PUT BETWEEN THE FRAME AND SKID PLATE FOR A NICE SNUG VIBRATION FREE FIT OPEN CELL FOAM TO PUT BETWEEN THE SKID PLATE AND ENGINE CASE TO ELIMINATE THE BUILD UP OF DIRT AND MUD".

and im sure you can get this foam for any plate.