Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bakeyz426f

how to bleed forks?????

12 posts in this topic

when you bleed the forks of air should you have a bike on a stand or do you just leave the wieght of the bike on the front wheel. i searched this and read some people leave it off the stand and others leave it on the ground? never done it before, are the bleed screws the ones on the tops of each fork? thanks:thumbsup:

After a long moto I usually release the pressure on the stand with the quick bleeders. When I'm racing a hare scramble I just release them when I happen to make a strategic dismount.lol The bleed screws are on the top of the forks just off to the side. The compression adjuster is in the middle of the fork cap as well.

The compression adjuster is in the middle of the fork cap as well.
Not on a 426 it isn't. On all '04 and earlier YZ/YZF models, and all WR's, the adjuster on the fork cap is rebound. The compression adjuster is on the bottom of the fork leg, originally under a rubber plug.

The pressure should always be vented (this is NOT a bleeding process, BTW, nor is one required) with the bike on the stand, or the forks otherwise fully extended. If the fork is vented while partly compressed, they will have a slight vacuum in them when they extend, which can encourage dirt to be drawn into the seals.

Shouldn't they also be cooled down Gray? As in do it before you ride not after a 20 min moto in 90 degree heat??

Shouldn't they also be cooled down Gray? As in do it before you ride not after a 20 min moto in 90 degree heat??

It depends. For the most part though, yes, just before a ride is always a good idea, whether or not you vent them while they're hot.

is it a problem if one fork had more air in it than the other? i think i read something about some one having this problem and they had a cracked piston in the fork? how much does it cost to replace or fix a cracked piston? my forks seem to be working fine?

is it a problem if one fork had more air in it than the other? i think i read something about some one having this problem and they had a cracked piston in the fork? how much does it cost to replace or fix a cracked piston? my forks seem to be working fine?
No, and you don't have a cracked piston.

Not on a 426 it isn't. On all '04 and earlier YZ/YZF models, and all WR's, the adjuster on the fork cap is rebound. The compression adjuster is on the bottom of the fork leg, originally under a rubber plug.

The pressure should always be vented (this is NOT a bleeding process, BTW, nor is one required) with the bike on the stand, or the forks otherwise fully extended. If the fork is vented while partly compressed, they will have a slight vacuum in them when they extend, which can encourage dirt to be drawn into the seals.

I totally spaced out when I replied to this.:bonk: Please excuse my faulty information.:bonk:

So the idea is the just put it on a stand and let all the air out? Or only a certain amount of air?