HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
macsfamily

Oil filter cover bolt

5 posts in this topic

Does any one know which size Time-Sert to get for the allen head bolt? Could not locate in search and not near the bike.

Thanks

Before my bolt totally stripped out, I installed a threaded stud in the hole. It seems to work well. I simply have a nut which requires a 10mm socket to remove the cover. By not screwing and unscrewing the fastener, the threads should last a long time.

Before my bolt totally stripped out, I installed a threaded stud in the hole. It seems to work well. I simply have a nut which requires a 10mm socket to remove the cover. By not screwing and unscrewing the fastener, the threads should last a long time.
That can be a cure, but not for the reason you believe, exactly. Yamaha cross drilled a hole from the oil filter well into that screw hole, with the poorly conceived idea of using it to drain the filter well without removing the cover. The problem is less that the threads are used repeatedly than it is that metal debris collects in the cross drilled hole and sits on the threads of the lower bolt, waiting to chew it up when it's unscrewed. Note that this usually only happens to that one bolt out of the three.

Your fix avoids the problem by never moving the threads, and thus never grinding metal into them, and in that sense, would work fine. But it does not index the cover as the shoulder on the original bolt does. That's why I approached the problem this way:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634724

It should also be noted that once a thread insert is in place, as long as it's long enough to block the drain hole, the problem will be solved anyway. Even more important is that if the insert is too short, there will be a loss of oil pressure.