HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mweitz

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

5 posts in this topic

I purchased a used wheel on Ebay. The bearings / axle are a mess. I have a new set of All Wheel sealed bearings and seals.

I pulled the whole mess apart, cleaned everything up with WD-40 and and ready to put it all back together. Do I use grease anywhere aside from a light coat on the axle?

Thanks,

Mark

I push grease into the needle bearings with my fingers and rotate them around a bit, and then run my greasy fingers on the seal edges just to make the axle (which is lightly greased.....as you know, a non-greased axle becomes the hardest immovable object in the universe when it comes time to remove it) entry a little smoother. Then I wipe off excess grease when the axle pushes through.

I don't think this has any needle bearings. It is on a 2002 WR426f.

The wheel has a seal on the rotor side, the bearing, the sleeve, and the opposite bearing. The new bearing on the speedo pickup side is in much farther than the original bearing though. Does it matter?

The kit looks like this:

all_balls_wheel_bearing.jpg

My bad, sorry; obviously - from that pic - there are indeed so needle bearings since it's a "sealed" bearing.

I don't think this has any needle bearings. It is on a 2002 WR426f.

The wheel has a seal on the rotor side, the bearing, the sleeve, and the opposite bearing. The new bearing on the speedo pickup side is in much farther than the original bearing though. Does it matter?

The kit looks like this:

all_balls_wheel_bearing.jpg

Most sealed bearings come with a little less grease than optimally desired, I highly recommend you pull the seals out using a needle or tip of a knife under the inner edge to pry up and pull off, wash out the factory grease with a cleaner and pack them really well with your choice of bearing grease. I like to use marine grade myself - it seems to hold up to the elements better.

Push your seals back on place and install the bearings.