wr450F-masters Class raceable??

Gents,

I'm 42, I've never raced in a motorcross race, but I've been playing on dirtbikes for 30 years. Thinking about entering a 40+ class next spring, at least once, just to have done it. Since 80% of my riding would be trails/fireroads, think it is feasable/survivable to do this on a WR450F? I currently have a XR650L, and I KNOW that won't work:banghead: Great deals on 09 YZ450's, as well as WR450F nowadays, thinking about picking one up this fall and tinkering/modding over the winter. All inputs/jabs welcome:banana:

I ride my WR at the track only once in a great while, it does ok, power isnt the problem, its the susp., I also have a '95 YZ125 that is a lot more fun at the track but sucks on the trails in compaeison, dont hit any doubles!

Stiffen up the suspension and you'll be fine. I ride the track quite a bit with mine, doubles and all. The only thing holding me back from the really big jumps is me :bonk:

the WR is one of the best all around bikes you can get, you will be happy with it.

Like said above... The suspension is the biggest part of it not doing well at mx. I've sprung mine for 235 and it still bottoms out with me being just shy of 200. I've hit 100' tables with it and you've got to land cherry not to get bounced off because of it bottoming the forks.

Yep, set the sag (and be sure the spring rates are correct for your weight) and dial in the clickers a bit.

There is a local fast guy who takes his WR450F out just for kicks once in a while. He is so good and smooth that he's able to land the backside of all the big jumps which takes away the dreaded flat landing that truly makes a bike's weight and suspension softness come to the surface.

But since you plan to do a MX race just once or twice you're going to have a great time, and the crowd will love seeing a headlight battle with the other bikes.

Yep, set the sag (and be sure the spring rates are correct for your weight) and dial in the clickers a bit.

There is a local fast guy who takes his WR450F out just for kicks once in a while. He is so good and smooth that he's able to land the backside of all the big jumps which takes away the dreaded flat landing that truly makes a bike's weight and suspension softness come to the surface.

But since you plan to do a MX race just once or twice you're going to have a great time, and the crowd will love seeing a headlight battle with the other bikes.

I love the last comment about the crowd and the headlight. I have a pretty good feeling that they will get a whole lot of enjoyment watching me go around the track one way or another! Kinda' like, "Wow, I've never seen somebody do that before, and ohhhhhhh, that's gonna hurt:banana:"

Bonus points if you wear a Camelbak or toolpack!

I love the last comment about the crowd and the headlight. I have a pretty good feeling that they will get a whole lot of enjoyment watching me go around the track one way or another! Kinda' like, "Wow, I've never seen somebody do that before, and ohhhhhhh, that's gonna hurt:banana:"

I have raced mine at just MX events before... everyone is correct on the suspension, the gearing will help pull a holeshot but you really have to use the clutch to pull larger jumps out of corner... cam upgrade may help this.

And yes the headlight, bark busters and camel back all add up to bonus points..

I even arena crossed my WR400 once:thumbsup:

Oh. My. Gosh. Please tell me you are digging through the harddrive for old photos of that experience!!! :bonk:

I even arena crossed my WR400 once:thumbsup:

To quote an old axiom "Motocross is 90% rider, 10% bike".

I know some local motocrossers that could beat me on on a MX track with their kid's tricycle.

Edited by willy_fitz
Oh. My. Gosh. Please tell me you are digging through the harddrive for old photos of that experience!!! :bonk:

Not to many digital pics of that bike... and none were taken that day. FWIW aside from feeling more top heavy and poor MX ergonomics, that 400 motor seemed better suited for MX.:bonk:

The softer suspension makes it a bit easier to hammer through the whoops and not get bounced.