HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheHarp

08 450f exhaust went boom

7 posts in this topic

I've been running my 08 supermotard pretty hard all season at the big tracks...lots of sustained high RPM run time. The exhaust finally gave out between turns 4 and 5 at PIR. :bonk:

IMG_3532.JPG

It sure did sound mean the rest of the way into the pits. :bonk:

I re-built it this weekend...now an inch shorter:

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3535.JPG

I think there's a message there regarding how restrictive the muffler is...:bonk:

Very true, but not so much now. The small cone welded to the inside of the perforated tube is now gone. The larger cone is now trimmed down and the solid tube is now perforated.

I just need this hack to last me a while longer...new pipe next year.

:bonk:

The small cone welded to the inside of the perforated tube is now gone. The larger cone is now trimmed down and the solid tube is now perforated.

Just curious, what were the results in terms of sound and performance in the modifications you did?

Now that's some carnage. Good thing it wasn't an expensive aftermarket can. Either way, I'm sure either Yamaha an aftermarket would've said the packing should have been changed more frequently. :bonk:

Note: I'm not saying you should have but I bet a manufacturer would.

Just curious, what were the results in terms of sound and performance in the modifications you did?

Hard to say...I've started it up and took a spin around the neighborhood, but haven't opened it up yet. It sounds about the same, maybe a little more bark to it. I could've gutted the can a lot more, but didn't want it to be too loud as I ride it sometimes at supermoto tracks that have sound restrictions.

Now that's some carnage. Good thing it wasn't an expensive aftermarket can. Either way, I'm sure either Yamaha an aftermarket would've said the packing should have been changed more frequently. :bonk:

Note: I'm not saying you should have but I bet a manufacturer would.

No doubt about it...there wasn't much packing left. That said, I'm not sure how much blew out when the cap blew off.