HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ciscott

Sand tips anyone

4 posts in this topic

Howzit

Any tips preping my bike for riding in the sand? I know it gets get everywhere. Ive heard of people using pam,putting duck

tape on the shock spring and filter skins. Any tips will be helpful. Going to Pismo w/o a paddle.

Aloha

YZ426F

------------------

Aloha

ciscott

YZ426F

Originally posted by Matt Porritt:

Tips:

Paddle tyre!!! :)

Also don't fan the ctutch if you can help it.

I agree w/ rubber chicken. Paddle is a MUST in the dunes. Not that a knobby is completely worthless but a paddle tire on my 426 in dunes is an almost religious experience. You can knock a grown man over with your roost! Bike hooks up like you can't even imagine, hence the opportunity for massive clutch abuse and chain stretch. I rode for three days at Glamis (not ALL day though) and wore out a decent chain.

I would also say a filterskin is a good idea,

plus take it easy on the chain lube.

Riding in sand, IMO, is MUCH easier on bike than mud or any moisture.

Have fun

PS I used a Cheng Shen with 8 paddles. If you can, set your axle back a bit. Paddle ripped off my shock guard/mud flap thing instantly.

You have got to get the Paddle. I rode my 93 YZ 250 in the dunes with and without one. I hated it without, loved it with the paddle. I wish I could get my 400 to the dunes to try it.