Which year LTZ 400 should I get?

Motocross/hare scrambles are my main hobby (on my KTM EXC dirt bike), yet several buddys are into trail riding their quads, thus I am considering getting a sport quad.

Here is what I am looking at:

• 2004 LTZ400 mint/stock/low hours for $2800
  • 2008 LTZ400 brand new for $4500
  • (2006 Predator mint/stock $3200)

Seaching here has revealed that:

• 03 LTZ400 had a weak frame
  • 05 LTZ400 had a problem with _________ (magnesium cover?)
  • 08 suspension is better than the 04

Since I am new to the quad world, I am inclined to get the 04 since it will be easier to recoup my money if I don't like it.

Does this make sense? Is the 08 such a good deal that I should jump on it? Any other major differences between the 04 and 08? I am missing something? Anything else I should consider? Help me decide!

Thanks for your $0.02.

The 04 has the frame problem from 03 fixed. The only difference in the 04 and the 08 frame wise is the stock front shocks. I would get the 04 and put some shocks on it. You can get great Elka or Works shocks for way less than the difference in the two. You can always find 450r, ltr, or 05 or newer LTZ shocks on ebay for around $200.

That is all you need.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing new between the 08 and 04 but that is a heck of a price for a new 08 if that price is OTD. If not then I guess you might have to add as much as $1200 to the price in which case the used 2004 is a much better deal and if its mint with low hours I would save money leave the suspension stock.

Just to clarify, all z400's have weak frames. Yes, even the 08's. A gusset kit is reccommended for all years, along with a manual cam chain tensioner. Other than those to hiccups, they are probably the best all around sport quad available. I just got an 03 for $2000 5 days ago. Wow, these are way different than dirt bikes. It is nice to have something different though. I already have 05 shocks and nerf bars on the way. BTW, my 03 doesn't have a gusset kit, and there isn't a single crack around the front shock mounts.(where they are most likely to crack). I will be getting a gusset kit along with an mcct with my next paycheck.:bonk:

Nothing new between the 08 and 04 but that is a heck of a price for a new 08 if that price is OTD. If not then I guess you might have to add as much as $1200 to the price in which case the used 2004 is a much better deal and if its mint with low hours I would save money leave the suspension stock.

No the 04's still had the pogo stick front shocks. They didn't add the piggy back front shocks until 05.

And to agree with KXRacer, yes all of them need gusset kits. Especially the 03 models. I have a gusset kit, have not put it on and I have had no problems. I have an Elka suspension though.

Nope the same. They added TPS tothe carb. It may be bored 1mm larger but that's it. Not enought to tell a difference.

No, they did change the cams to a more aggressive grind, or according to them they did. Not sure on the carb.

No, they did change the cams to a more aggressive grind, or according to them they did. Not sure on the carb.

No they didn't. the only change in cams that have been done on this motor is the DRZe models. The DRZs, SM, and LTZ400 all years have the same grind. The only difference is the DRZe model on the cams.

I have done work on 2003, 2004, and 2006 models and they are all the same.

The only difference in the carbs is the tps and 1 mm in bore (which doesn't even make a difference).

No they didn't. the only change in cams that have been done on this motor is the DRZe models. The DRZs, SM, and LTZ400 all years have the same grind. The only difference is the DRZe model on the cams.

I have done work on 2003, 2004, and 2006 models and they are all the same.

The only difference in the carbs is the tps and 1 mm in bore (which doesn't even make a difference).

Really? There used to be a review by some mag. on youtube that said they changed the cams in 2005. I guess if you've worked on them, you would know.:bonk:

I had a 07 LTZ and added a pipe, filter, 39mm FCR, swing arm, a-arms, axle, front and rear shock. I did a lot of work to that bike. It was nice, BUT...............

It was no where near as nice as a 450. I eventually caved and bought a 08 LTR, which I modded the hell out of and just sold for $6700. It was the nicest LTR I have ever ridden.

On to the RMZ 450 now though and lovin it.

Don't waste your time on the LTZ, get the LTR, fuel injection is awesome, it handles ten times better, and the suspension is 20 times better. Not to mention, it is 30 times faster.

I had a 07 LTZ and added a pipe, filter, 39mm FCR, swing arm, a-arms, axle, front and rear shock. I did a lot of work to that bike. It was nice, BUT...............

It was no where near as nice as a 450. I eventually caved and bought a 08 LTR, which I modded the hell out of and just sold for $6700. It was the nicest LTR I have ever ridden.

On to the RMZ 450 now though and lovin it.

Don't waste your time on the LTZ, get the LTR, fuel injection is awesome, it handles ten times better, and the suspension is 20 times better. Not to mention, it is 30 times faster.

It really all depends on what you are going to do with them. For me the LTR450 isn't worth it, because I ride tight trails and love reverse. If you do the correct suspension and motor work you can and easily will beat a stock or piped LTR.

If I were only riding track and dunes, then the LTR is what I would want. If I were to ride in hare scramble type races, then a modded LTZ would be best.

As far as EFI is concerned that is a personal choice. I personally like carbs. If you want EFI get the 09.

I remember reading that on suzuki site and in the mags maybe suzuki was bsing everyone but that dosen't sound like them.

Just found this

Standard Features:

NEW FEATURES:

Larger 37mm carburetor with throttle position sensor - ignition timing is determined by throttle opening for improved engine response, especially at high rpm

Revised cam profiles for improved overall power output

Increased number of clutch drive plates (8 to 9) for improved clutch operation and feel

New magnesium valve cover, clutch cover and ignition cover for improved engine appearance and reduced weight

Piggyback reservoir-style front shock absorbers featuring adjustable preload, compression & rebound damping for improved overall suspension performance

New aluminum front bumper and aluminum rear grab bar for improved appearance and reduced weight

Aluminum gear shift lever for lighter gearshift feel and reduced weight

I remember reading that on suzuki site and in the mags maybe suzuki was bsing everyone but that dosen't sound like them.

Just found this

Standard Features:

NEW FEATURES:

Larger 37mm carburetor with throttle position sensor - ignition timing is determined by throttle opening for improved engine response, especially at high rpm

Revised cam profiles for improved overall power output

Increased number of clutch drive plates (8 to 9) for improved clutch operation and feel

New magnesium valve cover, clutch cover and ignition cover for improved engine appearance and reduced weight

Piggyback reservoir-style front shock absorbers featuring adjustable preload, compression & rebound damping for improved overall suspension performance

New aluminum front bumper and aluminum rear grab bar for improved appearance and reduced weight

Aluminum gear shift lever for lighter gearshift feel and reduced weight

Everything in this is correct with the exception of the cams. The cams have not changed at all. The are identical. I am looking in my service manual now and the lift, duration, base, and clearance are all the same. Nothing changed at all as far as cams go.

We replaced my buddy's 03 cams with old sytle hotcams and they are identical cams to my stock 06 cams. My 08 stock DRZ and my 06 LTZ cams are identical as well. I run webcams in both of them.

Really the only thing that makes the 05 and (pre 09) up better than the 03 and 04 is the stock front shocks.

03 has non removeable rear grab bar, 04 and up is removeable. 03 has a weaker frame and a different bearing carrier and swinger (only adjustment).

go for the 09 the crazy new look is wicked nd sleek it looks excactly like the ltr check it out nd its a differnt frame work too. i myself has the kfx400 by kawasaki nd it is very nice if you want somethin cheaper in price get the kfx it looks the same but you can buy it in green nd orange i have the 05.

ps if you get the ltz or kfx take out the spark arrestor i did and i give more torgue you dont have to rejet or anything i know someone who has the ltz and he told me to take out my spark arrestor it sounds better to.